Question Overclocking 8700k

Feb 18, 2019
I have been wanting to OC my 8700k for awhile now as it is running at 4.4ghz. I have a hyper evo 12 and do not have money for a new cooler or new cpu in case it were to be fried so don't bother telling me to get a new one (highlighted cause people don't like reading and people have been assholes about this). I have used cinebench and at 4.4ghz I was getting around 3225 score consistently. I've heard to increase speed and voltage at the same time and to not go over 1.35V. I checked my voltage before overclocking and before overclocking my voltage it went to 1.30V on its own and that scared me to incrase the voltage. Anyone have any tips? I am relatively new to this and don't want to fry my cpu. In cinebench my highest temp was 80C.

Ok, when your CPU boosts it is technically overclocking. Your motherboard will increase voltage, usually higher than needed to a preset amount that is guaranteed to allow it to hit the boost speed. It is possible that you can hit higher speed on this same voltage depending on your individual CPU. Voltage will affect your temps directly and you will be ok at 80c. Typically shutoff is 100-105. Now cinebench is using 100% of your CPU. Gaming what is your CPU usage? If under 100% then your daily temps will be lower. However, it will be difficult to find if your CPU is truly stable because your cooler will not be able to handle realbench or prime 95 for 8 hours on a Max speed that would be ok for daily use. I’d start at 1.3v since you are already hitting 80c. Start at 4.5 ghz and run realbench for an hour and see if it’s stable and how your temps look. Go up in speed till it’s unstable or runs to hot.

Now you are at the decision to try more voltage based on your temperature. If you try more voltage go up small like 1.315 or 1.325 and raise speed using above method. Once you reach a speed and voltage you are happy with you will want to run realbench for 8 hours, you can do this while sleeping or away. If it gets too hot it will restart. If it’s unstable it will stop or restart.

Feb 18, 2019
Ok, when your CPU boosts it is technically overclocking. Your motherboard will increase voltage, usually higher than needed to a preset amount that is guaranteed to allow it to hit the boost speed. It is possible that you can hit higher speed on this same voltage depending on your individual CPU. Voltage will affect your temps directly and you will be ok at 80c. Typically shutoff is 100-105. Now cinebench is using 100% of your CPU. Gaming what is your CPU usage? If under 100% then your daily temps will be lower. However, it will be difficult to find if your CPU is truly stable because your cooler will not be able to handle realbench or prime 95 for 8 hours on a Max speed that would be ok for daily use. I’d start at 1.3v since you are already hitting 80c. Start at 4.5 ghz and run realbench for an hour and see if it’s stable and how your temps look. Go up in speed till it’s unstable or runs to hot.

Now you are at the decision to try more voltage based on your temperature. If you try more voltage go up small like 1.315 or 1.325 and raise speed using above method. Once you reach a speed and voltage you are happy with you will want to run realbench for 8 hours, you can do this while sleeping or away. If it gets too hot it will restart. If it’s unstable it will stop or restart.

Alright I guess I can try that. Let us say I run at 1.3V and have a stable 4.5ghz, can I increase spead and not voltage?