Overclocking a E8400 on P5K SE/EPU

p94-t

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
I want to overclock my CPU to 3.6GHz. How should I do it?

FSB:

VCore:

RAM VCore:

RAM timing:

Comupter Specs

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.0GHz

Motherboard: ASUS P5K SE/EPU

RAM: Kingston KVR667 667MHz 4GB total

Power Supply: Antec Basiq VP450 450W.

Do I have enough juice to feed my CPU with the current power supply?

Thank you for your time.

hi overclock is own risk ! I think 450 w antec basic enough for it but more power will be better.
I'm not sure about ddr3. try go rather for 8x muliplier x 400 FSB. Neat 3,2Ghz and 1:1 with your RAM. you can always try 8.5x400. I also started Overclock with a standard cooler, experienced on 3,6Ghz, standard Vcore ( do not auto ) Test use prime95 8hours or use IBT 20time maximum ram. Alway's keep temperature below 70C, you will be fine.

3.6 GHz should be easily attainable. The only limiting factor I see is your memory. DDR2-800 would be better.

This should be your first stop.
Core2 Overclocking Guide (standard guide based on an Asus motherboard)
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259899-29-core-overclocking-guide

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier (or whatever your BIOS calls it) from AUTO to 2.00, 2.00B, or 2.00D - whichever you need to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB of 333 MHz, your memory clock should be at 667 MHz. At 400 MHz FSB, your memory clock should be at 800 MHz.

If you find your DDR2-667 memory is limiting you, try increasing the RAM voltage to 2.2 volts. If that doesn't help, try relaxing the memory timing from 4-4-4-12 to 5's-15 or from 5's-15 to 6's-18. One nice thing about Core2 systems is that memory performance (or lack of) doesn't have a large effect on system performance.

Run your internal CPU multiplier at X9 (max).

Keep your core voltage under1.45 volts and your load temps under 70 C.

Don't worry about your power supply. Overclocking your CPU will add no more than about 15 watts to your power consumption.

Download CPU-Z to check your FSB:RAM ratio. It should be a 1:1 ratio.