Overclocking a FX-6300 to 4Ghz without VRMs getting hot?

extreametech

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
Hey guys so I posted here about potentially upgrading to Intel, they said save and to overclock my CPU to 4ghz if possible. The only constraint about this is my motherboard is a ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 but the probelm is that it does have any heat sink on its VRMs. I don't want them to get hot as I am trying to have some money for an i5 or i7 in the near future.

This is what the guy said
"You won't be able to get an extreme overclock on your motherboard, no doubt about that. However you can easily get a 4Ghz overclock (multiplier only to take as much strain as possible off your other components - ie don't use fsb overclocking). 4Ghz isn't going to be pushing your system hard, and you may be able to get 4Ghz stable without additional Vcore (or at the very least a very minimum voltage bump)."

Can any of you tell me how to do this as I have never overclocked in this style before nor with a motherboard that has no VRM heat sinks

Solution
I don't think it's going to make a difference in CS:GO. It's not a CPU demanding game. If you have a good aftermarket CPU cooler and a rear CPU fan or top case fans, you might be able to OC's decently with just active air in the area cooling the VRM's.

extreametech

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

*place, I want to make my CPU a little faster, If you read the thread i have linked HERE what was linked in the main text. You will be able to figure what I want the increase the Mhz

:) :D

I don't think it's going to make a difference in CS:GO. It's not a CPU demanding game. If you have a good aftermarket CPU cooler and a rear CPU fan or top case fans, you might be able to OC's decently with just active air in the area cooling the VRM's.

Solution

extreametech

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

Yeah I don't just play csgo , i tend to play GTA V and other games, I also make , edit and render videos to the extra horse power is always good!

extreametech

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

I am fully aweare that a VRM a heatsink means "instant OC room" I'm merely stating the fact that most boards that can OC or are high performance board have heat sink to help aim cool the VRMs. Applying cooling to the area will also reduce the temps as well. The aluminium helps to transfer and dissipate the heat but my board does not have them installed. Yes I could go out and buy heat sinks and apply them but there is no point as I am currently saving for an i5 or i7 build. and a Nvidia 950 or something from AMD depending on prices at that specific time.

The guy from the original post has explained to me

"First thing is to load into bios- usually press the del key as you booting your system. In bios disable all power saving options - cool n quiet, c1e, ect... Then find your CPU voltage and take it off AUTO and set on MANUEL. Next for your board all you want to do is a simple multiplier only overclock. All you will do is increase the multiplier using the + key by one increase at a time so at stock your multiplier will be 17.5, increase it to 18 - this will take you clock speed to 3.6Ghz. Save and reboot enter windows and run a stability test like Prime 95 for 15 minutes while monitoring your temperatures. If you pass without issue after 15 minutes stop all the workers close out Prime 95 and reboot your system and go back into bios. This time increase the multiplier to 18.5, save reboot, run Prime 95 for 15 minutes, if all okay reboot into bios raise multiplier to 19, ect, ect... If before you hit 4Gzh (20 multiplier) you get an error while running Prime 95 (ie system freeze or worker stops) then you will have to go back into bios and raise your Vcore (CPU voltage) by pressing the + key once, reboot run Prime 95 see if stable, if not go back into bios and increase CPU Voltage by pressing + key once again. Most FX 6300s will overclock to 4Ghz with very little to no voltage increases. The thermal max for the FX series is 70C, but try to keep your processor under 62C under full load, and the max Vcore is 1.55V (you shouldn't come anywhere near that only going to 4Ghz)."

He has explained in great detail!

Prime I found puts undue stress on AMD chips in a way that they may fail a Prime test, yet can run everything else stable for days, so I don't use prime for AMD overclocking. Latest version of IntelBurnInTest does a good job.

Some may disagree, but you can use the Asus overclocking wizzard to at least find where you can overclock to easily. a 4ghz OC shouldn't be too bad, especially with only a 6 core. i had your board before I took it back and upgraded to the one in my sig, and I could hit 4ghz with my 8 core on easily.