Overclocking AMD X2 CPU - Motherboard Problems

cherven

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
Hi Everyone,

Im sure this question has been asked before, but im not quite for sure, and would like to confirm the anwser.

My current motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 (rev 1.0), and for some reason it just dont like overclocking... i have sent it in for 3 different replacements, but still no difference. What it does is whenever overclocking more than like 10% the bios hangs randomly at startup, and restarts. It will hang, making me press the reset button, and then it will say "System now in safe mode, please Re-Setting CPU Freq.) (Yes, this board actualy has improper english, much to my supprise (Not that my english is any better lol)) I even tried updating the bios, increased the voltage to cpu, HT Link, Chipset, Ram, And even set the memory timmings lower, etc., but with no luck.

So bascily i am out to look for a new motherboard that hopefully wont give me the same problem when overclocking, so could anyone here help point me to a good motherboard? One that is exelent for overclocking and will not give me any problems like above?

My current specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
2GB DDR2 800 Crucial Memory (Suppose to be decent quality and overclock ability)
Koolance Exos-2 Water cooling kit.
Onboard video (for now, ill be getting a 8800GT For xmas)
Enermax 500 Watt PSU (Suppose to have good stable voltages, and dual rails, Active PFC, etc.)
And the junky Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3

Thanks in advanced for your help.

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
I have the same CPU is it the F3 stepping? If so get yourself a MSI K9A Platinum. My little one is at 3.5Ghz on this board limited by cheapy OCZ ram. My mobo's BIOS is the super old 1.4 so maybe the newer one can handle more.

As for your current Mobo i assume you know what your doing regards to o/cing, because the 6000+ isn't the easiest to o/c most get stuck at 3.2.

cherven

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
Yes, my CPU is the F3 Stepping.

I am still sorta beginning at overclocking, so i dont know THAT much about overclocking, but i think i know enough to get me by.

Why isnt the 6000+ cpu the easiest to overclock? I've had mine set to like 3.5GHz also, and it seems to work pritty good, its just the damn mobo is being annoying, if i reboot enough times, the bios will finaly let me pass with the overclocking... I guess the problem is something with the mobo.

Has anyone here had experance with the "ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe" Motherboard? If so, how good is it at overclocking? has anyone had the issue i had above?

godsizesnakeyes

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
If you do like gigabyte and think you just got a lemon of a board you could try the GA-MA69GM-S3H. Its only $10 more at newegg than the board you were using and IMO I think the S3H is a much better board from the research I've done. But you might want to look into compatability first since you already have everything and are replacing the mobo only.

I just built a system with the GA-MA69G-S3H and it has some very nice OC features. This was my first build and OC and I was able to bring a 4000 brisbane from 2.1GHz up to 2.52GHz with the only voltage bump being the ram from 1.8v to 2.0v. Soon as my new CPU HS&f arrive I am going to try and push it to 3.0GHz+. My wall right now is temps with the stock HS&F.

I can only speak for this board cause its all I have used but its treating me well so far. I dont think you should give up on gigabyte just yet thou. They have alot of really good boards out with great reviews and I have noticed gigabyte has become pretty popular with alot of the builders here on toms forums.

patater

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
hey, i have the 1.8 bios. i seen on madshrimps that they can change voltage percentages in the bios? i cannot, its all grey and stuck at default, any way to change that? plus, i guess i go tthe wrong ram for my mobo...anyone want to trade? hahahaha i could only hit 240fsb, half the time its unstable, so i run at 230. they hit 340 on their board...again, maybe i got a sucky board, or i have the wrong bios...thanks for you help. anyone know of a hacked bios, or a better one for oc'ing?