Question Overclocking an 8600k

scandrews

Honorable
Jan 30, 2018
I'm wondering if 5ghz at 1.375v is good for an 8600k, using an Asrock Z370 Killer SLi/AC motherboard, with a CoolerMaster ML240L AIO.

That's where I have it set right now, and have not had any problems (I ran Cinebench R20 4 times back to back, with no crashes, and heaven 3 times with no crashes). My max CPU temp on Cinebench was 83.

Should I lower the voltage? Lower the overclock? Different cooler or MB (I've read reviewsr that have said that this MB does not have the best power delivery).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

That's a very good Overclock at 5.0GHz and MAX temps at 83C so your Cooler is coping.
It would be ideal if you can lower temps below 80C and maybe you can try to reduce Core voltage.
Try 1.275V on the core. If unstable then test again upping core voltage in .01 increments.
If you can't obtain stability below 1.375V then you may have to reduce CPU Frequency.

scandrews

Honorable
Jan 30, 2018
That's a very good Overclock at 5.0GHz and MAX temps at 83C so your Cooler is coping.
It would be ideal if you can lower temps below 80C and maybe you can try to reduce Core voltage.
Try 1.275V on the core. If unstable then test again upping core voltage in .01 increments.
If you can't obtain stability below 1.375V then you may have to reduce CPU Frequency.

I dropped the voltage to 1.25, and the best I could do was 4.8 ghz. I could not get 4.9 stable unless I was at 1.325 or higher.

I ran cinebench r20 5 times, and never hit above 71, with it staying around 67-68. And my score was only 112 lower than when I had it at 5.0

So I'm guessing 4.8 is where it's best.

Is that cooler enough, or should I upgrade it?

Really 4.8ghz is still very good. You aren't going to notice the extra 200mhz in games or in content creation.

I would just leave it. You already have a pretty high end cooler, going with a 360mm or 280mm will only lower your temps by maybe 3-5 degrees. (5 degrees as in best case senario)

Unless you want to push super high benchmark scores as your main goal....

I'd say, increase your clock speed as high as possible at 80C, but if temps go beyond 80C, then drop it down until it doesn't.