Overclocking an i5-4670k

jamesh10

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Hey guys I was wondering what a safe overclock would be for an i5-4670k with an h80i all-in-one liquid cooler. I want an overclock around 4.3-4.4 Ghz and was wondering what a good voltage would be and if I can boot into Windows with those configurations, what a good stress-tester would be for my new overclocked CPU. P.S. I'm using a mATX Gigabyte board if that means anything to you.

Here is a quick and easy to follow guide to OC'ing a Haswell: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1722630/intel-god-quick-dirty-guide-4ghz-haswell.html

As far as a stress test, I use "Intel Burn Test" and "Prime95".

Good luck!

Yogi

mr1hm

Distinguished
as far as how much voltage your chip will require @ "x" speed will depend on your chip itself. for 4.3-4.4 i think the motherboard should be alright but anything higher might require some more power. a good stress tester for Haswell chips is AIDA64, it was designed around the haswell architecture.

just raise your turbo multiplier by 1 and test for stability, if there's no crashing/BSODs and all seems stable, raise the multiplier again by 1. keep repeating until you reach instability and then raise your CPU voltage until you find stability.

jamesh10

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Thanks! But what turbo multiplier do think I should reach if I am stable at those clocks. What I mean, is if my overclock is stable, then what turbo multiplier should I be able to reach on AIDA64. And also, is AIDA64 free?

jamesh10

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Thanks! But what turbo multiplier do think I should reach if I am stable at those clocks. What I mean, is if my overclock is stable, then what turbo multiplier should I be able to reach on AIDA64. And also, is AIDA64 free?

mr1hm

Distinguished

i'm afraid that's something that's also unique to each chip. some other people with the same CPU may reach 4.4GHz without touching any voltages while others may not even be able to hit 4.3GHz without a voltage raise. you just gotta test your chip and see the results yourself.

AIDA64 isn't free but, you can download a trial version of it which i'm sure includes the stress test. :)

schmuckley

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 18, 2011
H80 should work pretty good.
A quick stress test would be 3 loops if Intel Burn test.
I wouldn't recommend doing any more that that;neither would AgentGOD.
For longer-term stability try Hyper-Pi 32m and do 2 runs