Overclocking and Stress Testing

JusticeX19

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
Hello
I just started to OC' for the first time. I pretty much followed/used JJ's tips/settings on this video for the most part http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7zPu9255ZI and read up on this thread to get some more insight. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1722630/intel-god-quick-dirty-guide-4ghz-haswell.html

Since I'm relatively new to all this I'm not overly concerned in achieving extreme or high overclocks. And to be completely honest the only settings I changed in the BIOS was the multiplier(Sync All Cores) and set the Vcore to manual, that's basically all i did and left everything else to either default or Auto.

Not sure if this is considered high or not but I went for 44x Multiplier 4.4Ghz@ 1.170Vcore. I originally started with a Vcore@1.190v and started to work the voltage down increments of .5 or .10 until the system crashed using IBT@High/10 Runs. The lowest Vcore was 1.165v since it crashed at run 6/10 IBT@High. So "i think" 1.170v was the safest/stable voltage I personally thought with the highest Temp being 86c on one core. .

So i decided to test it on Prime95@Blend settings and thought it was going to go far but it didn't. I think it crashed somewhere between 5-10min because I went to make myself some lunch and when I came back it already failed. So what do I do from here if i wan't to pass Prime95? Keep increasing Vcore and run Prime95 for a 30min-1hr or something to find if my system is stable with that Vcore setting then do a 6hr+ test?

Played SWTOR for about an hour with same settings and Load Temps where between 38c-45c(Occasional spikes but never really exceeded over 51c)

System Specs
Corsair 500r
Asus Z87Pro V-Edition
i5 4670k
Noctua NH-U14s
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X @1866
1TB WD Black Performance
Corsair TX650w
XFX 5770 1GB
OS Windows 8.1

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Solution
You can increase Vcore if you would like to see Prime95 stable, however, if you can play games at 4.4 with 1.7 v., I wouldn't worry about Prime 95.

Yogi

JusticeX19

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

I've seen you post on a few threads and appreciate your help. Once I gauge the exact numbers and Voltages can I switch Vcore to adaptive and change the Turbo Mode CPU core voltage to the numbers that I got? I want to run my system as efficient that I can.

Yes. I use Adaptive all the time except when stress testing. I also leave Turbo Mode enabled and it does not seem to hurt my OC.

Be sure to set your Windows Advanced Power Option to "Balanced" if you want to let your Vcore go down during idle/low load periods.

Yogi