Overclocking Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 C15 ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

nialbu91

Prominent
May 3, 2018
So I want to overclock my ram higher than the 3000mhz that its at right now. The timings are 15-17-17-35 T1 1.36v. I want to know if its even possible and if it is, what would you recommend for, say, 3200mhz?
I know its almost pointless to do this but I don't know how to and want to learn.Do I just increase the speed? should I down-clock my cpu multiplier and up the BCLK? How do I figure out the timings?

I've searched online and couldn't find easy to follow instructions/explanations on how to do this. I like overclocking. I delided my cpu to OC higher. The highest I got my gpu's to was 2148mhz core on one and the other at 2112mhz core. Linked together I got 2088mhz core and 4400mhz mem.
I have my cpu clocked at 5ghz 1.35v, cpu cache clocked at 4.7ghz.
Ram is set to the xmp settings but I have xmp disabled due to stability issues with it on. I just set it to what CPU-Z recommended, though I lowered the command rate from 2 to 1.

My build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WKjRzY

https://valid.x86.fr/ceazu6

Solution
Yeah, I thought so. Your running on 1.36v (standard is 1.2v) which means it was already overclocked from the factory. You could increase the voltage to 1.4 just for testing your max OC. Intel's absolute safe max is 1.5v.

Also, do note that the first number (CAS=15) is very sensitive. If you couldn't decrease it, try other numbers ONE by ONE. Like 15-16-17-35 > no crash > 15-16-16-35 > ... . You could also try increasing the frequency by one step. If you can't, let's say Corsair was very diligent at OCing it to the max. Your only option would be increasing voltage.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
There's no point in increasing the frequency, leave it be. Don't touch your DRAM voltages as well It's already high enough. DDR4s can't take a beating like DDR3s.

Save your bios. Flash the latest version too if you haven't. (it resets your bios, make a copy on hdd or usb.)

Now for the juicy part. Decrease your primary timing until you crash. Back a step. Do the same with others.

For example: 13-17-17-35 > Crash > 14-17-17-35 > ... > 14-15-15-34

nialbu91

Prominent
May 3, 2018

yeah it didn't like any of that.when I made those changes, it restarted like 5 times then threw a "C1" error code which I've never seen before and booted into bios automatically. it did this with any changes I did.

thanks for trying though!

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
Yeah, I thought so. Your running on 1.36v (standard is 1.2v) which means it was already overclocked from the factory. You could increase the voltage to 1.4 just for testing your max OC. Intel's absolute safe max is 1.5v.

Also, do note that the first number (CAS=15) is very sensitive. If you couldn't decrease it, try other numbers ONE by ONE. Like 15-16-17-35 > no crash > 15-16-16-35 > ... . You could also try increasing the frequency by one step. If you can't, let's say Corsair was very diligent at OCing it to the max. Your only option would be increasing voltage.

Solution

nialbu91

Prominent
May 3, 2018

standard is 1.2 and the xmp profile takes it to 1.35. for some reason my motherboard goes from 1.34 to 1.36 and if I try to manually input it, it rounds up. idk why it does that. I should just leave it alone for now. don't wanna do anything ill regret

nialbu91

Prominent
May 3, 2018

A little update, I wasn't able to increase the speed but I got the timings down from 15-17-17-35 2T to 15-16-16-32 1T. I tried taking taking the cas latency down to 14 but it went into a vicious cycle of crashes and restarts. Should I try to get the trCD, tRP, and tRAS down ever further? Say to 15-15-15-30? What about the tRFC? That's at 390. I haven't changed it at all. I read somewhere I should only change it if I change the speed of the ram. Is that right?

I know this reply is late but I got bored one night and decided to tinker with it lol.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
Here, go nuts reading this. Explains nearly everything.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/773966-comprehensive-memory-overclocking-guide/

For max overclock, you want every number as low as possible, except tREFI.

Say to 15-15-15-30?
If you don't crash, why not? After your done poking at the RAM, test with Memtest86 to make sure it's stable.
I read somewhere I should only change it if I change the speed of the ram.
This is the way I overclock.
1. Increase voltage to the spot I'm comfortable with.
2. Increase frequency till it crashes/freezes. Go back one step
3. Lower timings one by one till it crashes/freezes. Go back one step
4. Test Memtest86. If stable, pat myself on the back
I know this reply is late but I got bored one night and decided to tinker with it lol.
I know the feeling. Spend hours adjusting all of my Corsair's timings. Ran UserBenchmarks test, gave 99th percentile. I know my headaches were worth it.

Reactions: addavar
Status
Not open for further replies.