Overclocking HD 7870 GPU

Jun 21, 2018
So I have the AMD Radeon HD 7870 Powercolor pcs+ edition and I tried OC this gpu. The default core clock is 925 MHz with boost at 975 MHz and memory clock at 1500 MHz. I downloaded the MSI Afterburner for OC. Then I overclocked the gpu core clock at 1200 MHz with power limit at 20%. Then I runned the unigine heaven benchmark and I see the core clock at 925 MHz and the memory clock at 1376 MHz. After that I reset the settings for the OC in the MSI Afterburner with core clock being at its boost clock, opened again the benchmark and the clocks are always the same. Any help is appreciated.

Go to settings in MSI Afterburner,
at Compability Properties tick all settings,
Under Enable low-Level hardware access interface select kernel mode
And at Unlock voltage control select Third Party

At bottom AMD Compability properties
Tick Extend official overclocking limits (Bear in mind that you cannot OC that much.
Tick also Reset display...

Go to AMD control panel, not sure which tab since im on Nvidia side, reset default the AMD control panel soo you dont make Fighting between AMD and MSI Afterburner.

Safe voltage for 7870 is 1.25V~
Safe recommended temp under 85*C~

Before doing any overclock at all, run a default Run in unigine valley or similar benchmark like furmark to see your baseline temperatures, for instance running an Furmark for around 1H to see your max temp, for instance mine would be 65*C without touching any fan curve or anything else.

After overclocking (since i cannot control voltage) is same since the cooler is way overpowered for this GPU.

After doing an overclock you do an stability test on Unigine Valley (one run for benchmark) and see if it crashes, if it doesnt you keep doing overclock until you hit wall (usually drivers crash of freezes the program).
Then you revert back the overclock for 25MHz and do again.

After you established max overclock for core with voltage bump (this is if you are willing to do) then you go for memory, same goes for stability test, overclock as far as you can without freezing PC, then you revert back memory clock a bit.

Hope this helps, this is from my experience.
IF you need video tutorial, here it is -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUEMS-B1Siw&t=57s

Jun 21, 2018

I tried everything you said above and the core clock and the memory clock are still the same. Should I uninstall the drivers and install them again if this is the problem?

Jun 21, 2018

I opened gpu-z and it shows default and current core clock running at 975 mhz and the memory clock at 1500 mhz. Runned the benchmark and the core clock runs at 925 mhz only. The memory clock somehow fixed and runs at 1500 mhz from 1370 mhz. I just need extra power from my gpu if not overclocked in its boosted clock