overclocking i3 6100 on a budget, worth it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

monstreys

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
hey everyone,

i'm going to make my first build soon and have sort of settled on pairing the i3 6100 with an r9 280x, i was planning on going with a b150 motherboard which will allow me to install a second 280x in crossfire in a couple of years (when this one becomes too slow)

should i want to overclock the gpu (working with the base clock) i would have to invest in a z170 board and a better cpu cooler, in total this would be an extra 60-70 euros.

would that investment be worth it? considering my build? i'd be working with 1833 ddr3 ram.

already thanks for all your help,
kindest greetings,
monstreys

Solution
In a couple of years time, I very much doubt you will want to buy another GPU in SLi. By then, Nvidia and AMD will have both bought out a much faster GPU with twice the memory etc for less money, which will be even faster than 2 of your GPU in sli.

Buying a Skylake i3 is not a bad idea, but only if you plan to upgrade it to a Skylake i5 in a couple of years time (before intel change the socket again). Otherwise, if you can afford it, buy an i5 now - will last you years and years.

And that is a HUGE caveat you're conveniently glossing over. "Heavy lifting" tasks like code compiling and video transcoding are not even close to the same kind of load as games, and I'm pretty sure you know that. The LGA115X and AM3+ platforms have far more difference than just core/thread count. Things like instruction set support, IPC, and memory bandwidth also matter a lot, and Intel crushes AMD right now in the latter two.

The 8350 is better at heavy lifting when it can bring all its cores to bear and, more importantly, can keep them saturated at 100% load. When was the last time a game pegged your CPU at 100% load? When was the last time you played an eight-threaded game? The vast majority of games right now don't even use four threads, so please reconsider your argument that an i5 will get overwhelmed in a big multiplayer game. Except for a few outliers, your gaming experience with an FX vs i3 vs i5 will be very similar provided you have a proper GPU for your graphics settings.

You're essentially saying that the 8350 beats the i5 in one eight-thread benchmark, therefore it must win ANY eight-thread benchmark. That's simply not true. Get the right tool for the job. Just because a farming tractor has more raw horsepower and torque and can haul a plow better than a Civic doesn't mean it's better at commuting to work.

In just this same way its a huge caveat to say that an i3 or i5 is a better gamer because it can produce higher fps in lighter loaded game situations .
What was your point?

If presenting data of your own is important you could try that too . And since its your idea you are welcome to go first .

Most of the intense multiplayer games of the last few years have performed as well on FX cpu's as the intel i5's . There are no way to produce repeatable benchmarks just because of the nature of multiplayer .
But never the less this is the experience I , and many others , who have used these processors have experienced

Except no one here is trying to say, "Since the i3 wins at one game, it must win at all games" like you're doing. Also, the specific benches presented here are of Crysis 3, Witcher 3, and Fallout 4. Are you really going to claim those titles are "light gaming"?

I havent said anything of the kind . I have said that single player benchmarks can be misleading .
And all the benchmarks presented here are all single player .

If there is anything else I have written that you cannot understand I suggest you take a deep breath and read it more slowly

Jared2606

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016

And then he went silent xD

Posts like this are exatly what is wrong with the intel fans perspective .
The OP will be using a 60 Hz monitor . That means that the most the monitor will ever display is 60Hz or 60 fps . If it receives a signal to display more fps it drops the frame or tears the image . Once you know that it becomes obvious that exceeding 60 fps is utterly pointless and will not change the user experience for the better ........BUT COULD MAKE IT WORSE .

With out knowing it you have actually proved that spending more on the intel is pointless .

There could be exceptions but the FX is a way more powerful processor and when there is a lot of cpu load as might happen in a 64 player map , and the game can use all cores then the i3 is not competitive .

Unfortunately the only repeatable benchmarks are single player and that can produce a result , but only one that is relevant to single player . Not something that most gamers build pc's for

The FX 8320e is a lower power , low clocked variant of the FX line . Its clock speed is 3200 Mhz , vs the 3500 Mhz of an 8320 .
It also seems to have much more aggressive use of cool'n'quiet compared to a regular FX so it speeds up later and slows down sooner under load .

The only reason you would include it in a comparison is if you wanted to distort the results , or you were too lazy to get a full fat chip

And of course this is another single player benchmark which as I said previously doesnt coincide with the way most people play games on their computer

Status
Not open for further replies.