[SOLVED] Overclocking MSi RTX 3060 Gaming X 12 GB with MSI Afterburner ?

Sep 27, 2021
I OC my GPu with msi afterbunner OC scanner. But it's overclocking it self to 1980 GHZ .... But i use user overclocking panal and overclock it to 2045 GHz.... is it ok or not GPU running normally and temps are normal (60 degrees at 100% load)
_

Solution
It's more productive to undervolt anything 10 series and later.
Overclocking makes the gpu run hotter and run into board power limits more frequently, and Gpu Boost doesn't like that.

Run Msi Afterburner. Unlink the Power and Temperature Limits - there's a paperclip like icon next to it depending on the skin being used.
Max out only the power limit, and click apply.
Play your games with Afterburner's own hardware monitor running. Make sure both Core Clock and Gpu Voltage are visible.
[If Gpu Voltage is not visible, go to Settings > General tab, check Unlock voltage monitoring, then go to the Monitoring tab, find Gpu Voltage, and check it.]
After a few minutes, check Afterburner's hardware monitor for the MAX Core Clock and Gpu Voltage...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Overclocking makes the gpu run hotter and run into board power limits more frequently, and Gpu Boost doesn't like that.

Run Msi Afterburner. Unlink the Power and Temperature Limits - there's a paperclip like icon next to it depending on the skin being used.
Play your games with Afterburner's own hardware monitor running. Make sure both Core Clock and Gpu Voltage are visible.
[If Gpu Voltage is not visible, go to Settings > General tab, check Unlock voltage monitoring, then go to the Monitoring tab, find Gpu Voltage, and check it.]
After a few minutes, check Afterburner's hardware monitor for the MAX Core Clock and Gpu Voltage. Memorize, or write 'em down.
Close the game, and open Afterburner's Curve Editor. Take the max gpu voltage you recorded, and subtract 0.05v from it. Find the voltage point in the Curve Editor that matches it, or is the closest match, and click on it.
Then use the up arrow key and raise the frequency back up to the max core clock the gpu touched. Lock it with the L key, and click Apply again.
Save the settings in one of the numbered profiles and lock them. Then click the reset key.
Done.

When you want to start up a game, open Afterburner, click the numbered profile it was saved at, and click apply. When you're done, click the Reset button and close Afterburner.

Memory OC'ing? I don't bother with it. It's not as forgiving.
Once a running memory OC starts showing signs of instability, it's usually going downhill from there. I think it's better to just leave that one alone.

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 27, 2021

After a few minutes, check Afterburner's hardware monitor for the MAX Core Clock and Gpu Voltage. Memorize, or write 'em down.
Close the game, and open Afterburner's Curve Editor. Take the max gpu voltage you recorded, and subtract 0.05v from it. Find the voltage point in the Curve Editor that matches it, or is the closest match, and click on it.
Then use the up arrow key and raise the frequency back up to the max core clock the gpu touched. Lock it with the L key, and click Apply again.
Save the settings in one of the numbered profiles and lock them. Then click the reset key.
Done.

When you want to start up a game, open Afterburner, click the numbered profile it was saved at, and click apply. When you're done, click the Reset button and close Afterburner.

Memory OC'ing? I don't bother with it. It's not as forgiving.
Once a running memory OC starts showing signs of instability, it's usually going downhill from there. I think it's better to just leave that one alone.
Thanks for the words and I do it better as I did it past. but I am afraid to use the GPU with my own config(cuz I'm not a PC master :) )

also, I run the OC scan 3 times and every time it show unstable meg like about you tell it... so thanks as well as your help ..... :)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I stopped using OC Scanner. That thing is broken for me.
If I force unreasonable settings, the gpu crashes right away. If I don't, Scanner crashes the driver on its own - even at the gpu's stock settings!
I forget how long it takes, but at some point, everything seemingly freezes - I can tell, because I have monitoring open; the graphs just stop.
After a few more minutes, it black screens and comes back... along with my results: 90% confidence. Every. Time.
There's just no way... I don't trust it.

Sep 27, 2021
I stopped using OC Scanner. That thing is broken for me.
If I force unreasonable settings, the gpu crashes right away. If I don't, Scanner crashes the driver on its own - even at the gpu's stock settings!
I forget how long it takes, but at some point, everything seemingly freezes - I can tell, because I have monitoring open; the graphs just stop.
After a few more minutes, it black screens and comes back... along with my results: 90% confidence. Every. Time.
There's just no way... I don't trust it.
Hkz 😂 youre right man... BUt my pc oc sacner not carshing or don't get black screen. But It will gain more power to run and it's keep running untill 45 min later.. that's sucks. Your right and now i use cuver editer with 1980 Ghz at max peak... i oc it to that boder. my card is newly born (hkz I bought it last week ) RTX 3060 MSi gaming X version

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, IDK what's going on with that.
Kombustor, which is basically Furmark, doesn't crash the driver.
Heaven Benchmark doesn't do it.
Unigine Superposition doesn't do it.
Asus Realbench doesn't do it.
None of games I do play give me any trouble.
Maybe the version I'm using is somehow broken... well, I don't need to use it, so I'm not missing anything.

Sep 27, 2021
brother this is not title correct QUE. but I like to ask can I know more software to monitor my performance like ASUS Amorey creator software. my brother's lap is ROG and it has a pretty cool performance monitoring panel. Mine one is MSI center. it's not cool like the Asus Amory creator app. ( I also used Argus Monitor and Nzxt CAM too... is there any programs like open-source software that have me to recomamnd ??

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry, I don't mess with much of that stuff at all.
They're not very useful, and take up space more than anything. They probably look pretty, but that's not something I'm after.

When I'm ready to play a game, I'll use Afterburner to apply gpu undervolt, and play while not running anything else.
Every now and then, I'll pull up hwinfo to look over everything for a bit, and then close it.

Sep 27, 2021
Sorry, I don't mess with much of that stuff at all.
They're not very useful, and take up space more than anything. They probably look pretty, but that's not something I'm after.

When I'm ready to play a game, I'll use Afterburner to apply gpu undervolt, and play while not running anything else.
Every now and then, I'll pull up hwinfo to look over everything for a bit, and then close it.
you're so simple guy I think... Like your kind words with me 🙌💜

Reactions: Phaaze88