• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Overclocking my GTX 580

bettazproductions88

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
So I just installed my Evga Gtx 580 (3GB) GPU today and I was playing Battlefield 3 with the "Ultra" setting on and when I do my Frames per Second are between 40-55 range. I am using Evga Precision and I increased my Core Clock to 800MHz & Shader Clock to 1600MHz, still keeping me around 50fps.
I was wondering what a comfortable Core Clock would be for this card? Precision allows me a max Core/Shader clock of 1235MHz/2470MHz I am wondering how high I can go? I just want to squeeze out like another 10 or 20 fps , thank you for any help

After past damaging 2 graphics cards doing exactly what you're doing, I stopped overclocking my GPUs, that's a very expensive graphics card to be playing Russian Roulette with, especially since you're getting between 40 - 55 fps with the "Ultra" setting.

If that's not fluid enough movement I would suggest dropping a notch down from the ultra setting, before trying to get an extra 10 or 20 fps on an already hot card.

It's not like you've invested in a mid range card with plenty of head room, you're at the top of the ladder.

My 2 cents on this subject.

kjriot

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
I have been playing with my GTX 580's with air cooling for now. The best i was able to get with temps idle at 45c, and 80 c load was CoreV: 1038, 860 Mhz/1720 Shader, 2004 memory clock (did not touch this). I dont have battlefield 3 but alot of my benchmarks went up quite a bit. and Batman Arkham City plays better now. I wouldn't throw all those numbers all the way up and click apply, trying to fry something is never good..unless its bacon.