Overclocking On Air: 10 LGA 1156-Compatible Performance Coolers

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jojo11

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I'm using this cooler and my idle CPU temp is at 24C. I haven't checked temp on a load but will. Highest I have seen it go is 32C.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
I'd to choose between Hyper 212 Plus for its price, MUX-120 for its widely positive reviews and Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B for its extreme cooling performance. Rev. B is the best cooler out there but it comes with a price. Hyper 212 Plus I found it be to difficult to install and somewhat noisey (this review justifies that).

Finally, choose 22 Nos. of Thermalright MUX-120 coolers for my 22 Workstations based on i7-860, GA-P55A-UD4P and Sapphire ATI 5770 card. 2 Workstations have been already built with 2x 5770 cards each, remaining 20 machines would be built in a fortnight with single Graphics card only. What I found is MUX-120 is performing like a cool cucumber, most important parameter for us (silence!). Little bit less cooling is OK compared to Hyper 212 Plus - trade off :)

jojo11

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
@ elasticman

in the bios it varies from 25-26C and I am using the pc probe 2 from Asus to check in windows. This is my first build so putting this Heat sink in was hard. The rubber bars to keep the thing quite were a pain. they kept falling out. I have 6gb memory installed with heat spreader. Don't think I could put more memory next to the Heat sink. it would be 2-4mm close. But over all this thing keeps my CPU cool, would buy it again, very quite. love it.

elasticman

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
@jojo11

i like it too...
i can get over 3ghz easy...
the problem now is my RAM:)
i didnt get this rig thinking i would OC it:)
but i got sick of how slow my CPU got and how hot it got with the box cooler...:)

when i OCed it to 3ghz it was less hot then with the box cooler hehe:)

klamathpro

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
The Noctua is the clear winner, hands down, no questions asked. $90 is only $20 more than the average performing cooler, and $40 less than a V10, and the fact that is comes with ball bearing fans (worth $25 each on newegg) makes it worthwhile. The Scythe is half the price, but does it matter to a serious overclocker? Four degrees is huge and can mean the difference between 4.2Ghz and 4.4Ghz.

blipthemonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Thus, while we’ve ignored the feature in our performance analysis, this editor has taken the initiative to replace the fan of his own MUX-120 test cooler with a PWM-based unit.

Which PWM fan did you decide to go with?

builder_lol

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Fantastic article. I bought a mugen-2 rev B based on it.

I am putting together an i7 860 P55M-UD4 and 8GB OCZ Platinum 1.65V.

I don't plan to do any OC, but it gets quite warm in here in the summer, so ambient temperature is about 30C.

Roughly, what temperature range can I expect running prime95 for 1hr?

Thanks...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]builder_lol[/nom]Fantastic article. I bought a mugen-2 rev B based on it.I am putting together an i7 860 P55M-UD4 and 8GB OCZ Platinum 1.65V. I don't plan to do any OC, but it gets quite warm in here in the summer, so ambient temperature is about 30C.Roughly, what temperature range can I expect running prime95 for 1hr?Thanks...[/citation]

At stock? Probably somewhere around 55C.

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]You're right...but it's not the worst of the group![/citation]
I dread to think what the others are like then.

The Mux bracket works fine until you actually have to do up the two screws holding the fastener down, at which point if you did what the instructions said and just tightened them right up it would shatter your cpu...great design choice.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]FlamingGerbil[/nom]I dread to think what the others are like then. The Mux bracket works fine until you actually have to do up the two screws holding the fastener down, at which point if you did what the instructions said and just tightened them right up it would shatter your cpu...great design choice.[/citation]

Really? I didn't shatter the CPU. The springs are there for a reason!

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]Really? I didn't shatter the CPU. The springs are there for a reason![/citation]

You did them all the way up?!

The springs on mine have absolutely no 'give' in them, solid as a rock. I just did them up far enough that it was secure. Cores idle at under 30c but think I need a reseat as one's a bit higher.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]FlamingGerbil[/nom]You did them all the way up?!The springs on mine have absolutely no 'give' in them, solid as a rock. I just did them up far enough that it was secure. Cores idle at under 30c but think I need a reseat as one's a bit higher.[/citation]

Side-brackets go on first, those flop around loosely until you put the cooler and center bracket on. There's only like 1/4 inch or less of spring collapse when you tighten them all the way down to the screw's shoulder...

Maybe you got a different kit than the one in the photo?

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]Side-brackets go on first, those flop around loosely until you put the cooler and center bracket on. There's only like 1/4 inch or less of spring collapse when you tighten them all the way down to the screw's shoulder...Maybe you got a different kit than the one in the photo?[/citation]
Nope, exactly the same as the one shown.

The side brackets were at no point loose though, stuck the backplate on, screwed the two side mounts into it so they were fully attached to the mobo/backplate, put the sink on, plate on top of the sink and screwed it down.

Tried crushing the springs before mounting just with my fingers, they were incredibly stiff.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]FlamingGerbil[/nom]Nope, exactly the same as the one shown.The side brackets were at no point loose though, stuck the backplate on, screwed the two side mounts into it so they were fully attached to the mobo/backplate, put the sink on, plate on top of the sink and screwed it down.Tried crushing the springs before mounting just with my fingers, they were incredibly stiff.[/citation]

That's strange, because the backplate in the photo has threaded collars that are so long they protrude through the motherboard by around 1/8", leaving the entire side bracket and back plate flopping loosely on the board until the center bracket and cooler are attached, pulling the plate tight against the motherboard.

Notice the gap beneath the tabs on the side brackets and the board itself in the installed photo for the cooler. Also notice that the center bracket's screws are tightened until the shoulders meet the side bracket.

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]That's strange, because the backplate in the photo has threaded collars that are so long they protrude through the motherboard by around 1/8", leaving the entire side bracket and back plate flopping loosely on the board until the center bracket and cooler are attached, pulling the plate tight against the motherboard.Notice the gap beneath the tabs on the side brackets and the board itself in the installed photo for the cooler. Also notice that the center bracket's screws are tightened until the shoulders meet the side bracket.[/citation]

Hmm, you're right. Perhaps I made a mistake somewhere, will have to take it off and have a look now.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]FlamingGerbil[/nom]Hmm, you're right. Perhaps I made a mistake somewhere, will have to take it off and have a look now.[/citation]

Maybe you have the back plate turned the wrong way?

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Well I've tried reseating it and everything is on properly yet I still dont dare screw it down fully, they're just too tight, you were right about the side bracket though, it is slightly loose until you screw down the plate.

Cores now idling at 28/21/20/25, not comletely sure it's alright but it'll do for now.

G

freezer pro 7 is a good solution if u want just a bit of an OC.
not first pick, but a pick indeed.

pinkfloydminnesota

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
I'm very happy with my OCZ Vendetta, the tiniest of the direct pipe coolers. 90 mm fan. Didn't fail me until I went from 446 to 450 on the fsb and and crossed the 3.8 GHz mark on my q9550. By fail, I mean the temp went above 72 C (highest safe point according to Intel) all the way tot he low 80s during an extended prime95 test. Of course, the outside temps were up in the 70s so maybe that was why ... I may try the next highest size to see if I can get more out of this chip before it shorts.

ream

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
I read many reviews about Scythe Mugen 2. It was nearly the loudest
cooller in tests at 12V. How come it is so quite in your test?

Status
Not open for further replies.