Overclocking On Air: 10 LGA 1156-Compatible Performance Coolers

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jerreddredd

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
the Noise level recorded seems to be way out of spec for the TUNIQ Tower 120 Extreme. The spec'd noise level is 16-20dBA; yet tested at 37dBA. Did the evaluation unit have a faulty fan? or was the manufacture just dreaming up these numbers.
Anybody know what fan was used as the "custom fan"?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]jerreddredd[/nom]the Noise level recorded seems to be way out of spec for the TUNIQ Tower 120 Extreme. The spec'd noise level is 16-20dBA; yet tested at 37dBA. Did the evaluation unit have a faulty fan? or was the manufacture just dreaming up these numbers.Anybody know what fan was used as the "custom fan"?[/citation]Most manufacturers do not list the distance at which that measurement is taken :) It's often a marketing trick :( All the fans here were tested in the same manner, so even if the numbers are a decibel or two off the comparison to other coolers is still proportional.

The "custom fan" is a generic unit chosen for its high airflow. It has no manufacturer model number.

V@no

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
You guys should have included results from stock cooler and/or have graphs where stock cooler is 0

G

it's funny some of the testing done here is right on the mark with Frosty and others, yet the acoustic and temp values of the Tuniq are way off the mark, could we see the actual numbers

Cypherdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007

Good review of 1156 heatsinks. However, you didn't put important information in your Features Comparison table at:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-heatsink,2535-2.html

You left out how much each heatsink weighs. Also, I am interested in knowing how these newer heat pipe designs compare to the older heatsink designs. I have a 10 year old AMD T-Bird 1400 MHz system which has a Swiftech MCX-462U heatsink. It runs XP Pro SP3. It is not O/C'd and runs cool.

I am interested to know how these new heat pipe designs compare to the Swiftech MCX-VCore:
http://www.swiftech.com/mcx-vcore.aspx

Is there any real difference in cooling performance when using a silent fan? The Swiftech MCX-VCore can use 80mm, 92mm, and 120mm (adapter not included) fans.

-----"The MCX-VCore™ heatsink is a high performance & compact thermal solution for Intel® processors using the LGA1366, 1155 and 1156 sockets. This includes the Core™ i5 and Core™ i7 processors (including the new Sandy Bridge processores)."

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not crashie, but I'm quite sure the old designs aren't very effective compared to heatpipe types. The one you have looks really cool, but I'm guessing that dust will collect between all those pins, and that due to their placement airflow is restricted and therefore increases noise.
Anyway, a 'modern' 2009 stock amd heatsink with heatpipes is way more effective than for instance the ocz blue orb that I used back in the day on my thunderbird 1000 (oc'ed to 1420 while the motherboard lasted ; voltmodded).

Cypherdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007

When I built my old T-Bird 1400 MHz system in 2001, I also custom made a filter which I fitted in front. Every 3 months or so I took it out and vacuumed it. The entire system still works and it is quite clean inside. Even the Enermax 430 watt PSU is clean!!! BTW, despite being 10 years old, my custom air filter is still intact and works well. The filter does get very dirty and the dust gets very thick on it. The computer room is just a standard house room and is vacuumed.

I would like to do this also for my new Intel i7 870 system. Although both cases are very similar, the newer case will be harder to fit a filter. I wish case manufacturers would at least leave room for a front air filter. This is my case. It is an APEVIA MX-ALIEN-BK/500. It is a newer design of a series of cases made by several manufacturers. At one time, Enermax, Chieftec, Antec & Chenming all made this design. However, I believe Apevia is now the only company you can get this design from. That's unfortunate because this design is the best you can get for a full tower case.

The newer heat pipe designs are just as susceptible to dust as the older heatsink designs. They also have fins which can fill with dust. A filter is the only way to prevent this problem. Why all case makers don't seal their cases except for the front and have a front air filter, I don't know. If I owned a case manufacturing company, I would modify the Apevia/Chieftec/Antec/Chenming design and install a very simple filter. Perhaps when I build another filter and it works correctly, I'll post some pic's on the Amazon product page. Then finally everyone will copy it. Of course, by then I will have patented it and I will have to charge a royalty. :ange:

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
There are serveral manufacturers where you can get cases with filters installed. My thermaltake va6000 i 2004 had filters, and my parents lian li case does, and so did my bet friend's silverstone I believe. Obviously all of those are 200€ or more, but they are available.

KenZen2B

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Where is the updated article? Do you feel that this information is still current a year and a half after being written? There are people making commits on this story as if it was written yesterday.

Please write an updated article with the top 5 performers from this article plus any new enters that have the performance to compete.

I am planning to buy an I7-2600K in Q4 of this year and would like to know if this information is still valid since its being written.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]KenZen2B[/nom]Where is the updated article? Do you feel that this information is still current a year and a half after being written? There are people making commits on this story as if it was written yesterday.Please write an updated article with the top 5 performers from this article plus any new enters that have the performance to compete.I am planning to buy an I7-2600K in Q4 of this year and would like to know if this information is still valid since its being written.[/citation]Yes, it is, you can follow the progression of cooler articles to see :)

draphius

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
i have the noctua nh-d14 and it drops temps another 8c if u switch out the 120mm fan for a noctua 140mm fan. although after buying it i wish i had put my money somewhere else. its a great sink but with sandybridge it was complete overkill and blocks my dimms arghh

draphius

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
also the thermalright silver arrow is a very good heatsink that needs to be included in the next review but its slightly better then the nh-d14 with the stock fans, almost identical but they put 2x140mm fans instead of noctuas 120mm and 140mm combo

Status
Not open for further replies.