Question Overclocking RTX 2070 Super

Jan 7, 2020
Hello.
I have just purchased a new PC, and I'm trying to overclock my GPU.
Currently, there are the settings:
View: https://i.imgur.com/vWrOsrN.png

I still did not finish.
I just want to know - what the core voltage does? Is it safe to raise it ? to how much ?
If I change the core clock to 110, the kombustor will crash after 1-2 minutes. Does it have something with core voltages ?
Still checking the raising of memory clock

By the way, the temp is under kombustor, while its off the gpu is in 27-40c range

What I did on my rtx2080. Raise temp limit slider to max, this usually unlocks 110% power limit. That may help with the crashing when going to 110 on the core.

Iirc correctly my final oc was +125 core/1000 memory. No manual voltage applied, only maxing temp/power sliders.

If you do need to manually adjust voltage, just do it slowly. Much like cpu voltage increases. Just dont have the oc settings apply on startup. That way if you do mess up, you can just reboot and start over.

In my limited experience, the turing cards wont oc near as well as previous gen cards. And memory adjustment has way more effect than core clocks.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Msi's OC Scanner isn't very reliable, at least from my experience, and the test results always comes back '90% confidence' - must be a bug or something.
It was also too aggressive on core clocks on my end: pushing +500 memory, it would give me scan results of +130, 140, 160(!) core clock.
Then I'd go and test with Asus Realbench and crash. Currently, my gpu is at +100 core, +600 memory, and passes Realbench every time. There's probably more room for fine tuning, but I've put it on hold for now; trying to find the max OC for the cpu now.

only 7mhz ?
Well, when you crank the memory clock that high, your potential core clock is lower, and vice-versa. Pascal and Turing benefit more from high memory OCs anyways.

No manual voltage applied, only maxing temp/power sliders.
I need to play around with this some more. I went right on ahead and cranked all 3 sliders up; I may get a better score with the voltage slider on 0. My card never sees over 62C, so perhaps the voltage is fine...

In my limited experience, the turing cards wont oc near as well as previous gen cards. And memory adjustment has way more effect than core clocks.
You're correct. Turing is essentially a refreshed Pascal... possibly part of the reason why the 20-series launch was so underwhelming.

Reactions: Gmoney06ss
I need to play around with this some more. I went right on ahead and cranked all 3 sliders up; I may get a better score with the voltage slider on 0. My card never sees over 62C, so perhaps the voltage is fine...
It will only use as much voltage as it needs, yeah? Or is it actually dialing in a set voltage amount? May be worth messing with, but as you said, temps are good. Why keep messing with it.

zx128k

Reputable
You started with a memory overclock of +1000 when you ran the auto oc feature. That's a really bad idea. Only set the power limit to maximum, you will never hit the thermal limit with decent cooling. The vRAM will start to error at some point when you overclock. The vRAM seems stable in most games but once you run Control or metro exodus you will get issues. Better to dial in the core first.

You started with a memory overclock of +1000 when you ran the auto oc feature. That's a really bad idea. Only set the power limit to maximum, you will never hit the thermal limit with decent cooling. The vRAM will start to error at some point when you overclock. The vRAM seems stable in most games but once you run Control or metro exodus you will get issues. Better to dial in the core first.
If I'm remembering right, if you dont max the thermal slider, you cant adjust the power slider. So I always max both and go from there.

zx128k

Reputable
I wonder if that's a newer thing? I always assumed they were just constantly locked together. Good to know they're separately adjustable.

You must have a great cooler! I'm under water and dont do a whole lot better than that.

With a cpu water block on the gpu that drops by ten degrees. I would get 50c and that would drop to 40c if I lock the game to 60hz.

Both thermal limit and power limit have never been locked in the software I use. The thermal limit matters little with decent cooling.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I wonder if that's a newer thing? I always assumed they were just constantly locked together. Good to know they're separately adjustable.
Look at the pic in the first post. See that little chain link next to Temp Limit?
It's been there for awhile now, but it IS kinda small and rather easy to miss, just like the Voltage/Frequency Curve Editor right next to Core Clock in the same image...

With a cpu water block on the gpu that drops by ten degrees. I would get 50c and that would drop to 40c if I lock the game to 60hz.

Both thermal limit and power limit have never been locked in the software I use. The thermal limit matters little with decent cooling.

How's Gigabyte's Aorus Engine now?
That thing was a broken mess during the first few months I owned this 1080Ti. Everything but Silent Mode would cause crashes - that was before manual OC was applied; of course, those would crash too.

zx128k

Reputable
Look at the pic in the first post. See that little chain link next to Temp Limit?
It's been there for awhile now, but it IS kinda small and rather easy to miss, just like the Voltage/Frequency Curve Editor right next to Core Clock in the same image...

How's Gigabyte's Aorus Engine now?
That thing was a broken mess during the first few months I owned this 1080Ti. Everything but Silent Mode would cause crashes - that was before manual OC was applied; of course, those would crash too.

I have a gigabyte 2060 so I installed it for that card. Was just trying the latest version.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Jan 7, 2020
Guys so what should I do ? should i remove the 100/1000 oc ?
Did I ruin something in my gpu or its ok?

I made a stress test in furmark, no closes and no weird things on screen

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The problem with that is those applications(Control and Metro Exodus) aren't widely available(free) to everyone.
[Assuming the OP does not have either of these]
To buy a game(s) just for testing gpu stability... game's that are not going to be everyone's cup of tea, is a bit much.

If they already have one or both titles, then great! If not...

zx128k

Reputable
The problem with that is those applications(Control and Metro Exodus) aren't widely available(free) to everyone.
[Assuming the OP does not have either of these]
To buy a game(s) just for testing gpu stability... game's that are not going to be everyone's cup of tea, is a bit much.

If they already have one or both titles, then great! If not...

You need to test RT cores and tensor cores. Tensor cores operate at one instruction per clock for example and are harder to get stable.

zx128k

Reputable
I get that, but do you know any alternatives?
Options that everyone can use - and not have to pay for, if they don't already have them, that is?

Control is the best stress test and there are not any good free tests. If you don't test the RT and tensor cores then in future you may have to accept you could have to reduce your overclock. I can get +40 on the cores in Control but +80 in destiny 2. Also the vRAM is stable at +900 in Control but +1000 in Destiny 2.

Hello.
I have just purchased a new PC, and I'm trying to overclock my GPU.
Currently, there are the settings:
View: https://i.imgur.com/vWrOsrN.png

I still did not finish.
I just want to know - what the core voltage does? Is it safe to raise it ? to how much ?
If I change the core clock to 110, the kombustor will crash after 1-2 minutes. Does it have something with core voltages ?
Still checking the raising of memory clock

By the way, the temp is under kombustor, while its off the gpu is in 27-40c range
You can safely max out voltage, power limit and max temps as voltage is hardware locked on the board of the GPU.