Overclocking Ryzen to 3.7-3.8 Ghz on Corsair VS450 PSU

aroy3639

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014
I have the PSU Corsair VS450 450W . I am planning to get a Ryzen 5 1600 . Already have a GTX 1060 6gb DDR5 Mini. Can I overclock my Ryzen to atleast 3.7-3.8 Ghz ? Or will it be pushing the PSU too far ?

Solution
I can't guarantee your Ryzen will be stable at that clock, or that your cooling will be sufficient, but I am confident you won't have power issues.
My actual PSU right now some might argue is only a notch above the VS; it is the newer CX-450M. That's not going to remain though; I just got the current machine online (not in my .sig yet) with what I had on hand. It's "real" PSU just arrived, a Seasonic 550W Focus. I may install it tomorrow or Tuesday, but with the system pulling so little power, I'm in no hurry.

aroy3639

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014

But people say Corsair VS Series is crap. So thats why a bit worried !

The VS is not a top-quality unit, but it isn't junk, and should be good for its label (which you won't get near). It has working protection circuits, and as far as I know does not have a reputation for destroying attached components. I would not buy one unless I had little choice, but then I admit to being somewhat of a PSU-snob. That doesn't stop me from recognizing that you should be fine.

aroy3639

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014

Thanks man. So you saying I can safely OC my Ryzen to 3.7-3.8 Ghz ! Thats good to hear . And are you using a VS Series PSU ?

I can't guarantee your Ryzen will be stable at that clock, or that your cooling will be sufficient, but I am confident you won't have power issues.
My actual PSU right now some might argue is only a notch above the VS; it is the newer CX-450M. That's not going to remain though; I just got the current machine online (not in my .sig yet) with what I had on hand. It's "real" PSU just arrived, a Seasonic 550W Focus. I may install it tomorrow or Tuesday, but with the system pulling so little power, I'm in no hurry.

Solution

aroy3639

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014

I guess then I can atleast try OC'ing Ryzen moderately before thinking of getting another PSU. Thanks man !