Overclocking: Tom's Sets World Record

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Why is it that most of the photos were irrelevant, who the hell wants to see the team having lunches anyway! Could have put in a few more BIOS screenshots, that would have been much better

ImSpartacus

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
Why did u put the results at the very last frame? That's pretty annoying.

Next, I want to see an E8500 at 6GHz. Should be no sweat with LN2.

G

Common stop saying world record........
Doing A 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 to 5.1GHz using a cryogenic cooling system, it's not nearly close to the world record they're claiming -- we've seen P4's at up to 8.18GHz, and just a couple months ago someone jacked a Core 2 Extreme QX9775 on a Skulltrail board to 6GHz. Read the rest of the article at engadget.com

G

hmmm...i seem to remember seeing a P4 OC'd to 7-8 GHz...so whats this record they broke??

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]drewesr[/nom]hmmm...i seem to remember seeing a P4 OC'd to 7-8 GHz...so whats this record they broke??[/citation]
I'd assume the highest Q6600 clock speed, at the time they did it anyway.

caffiend

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
These sorts of 'records' have become pointless and tedious.

Yes - we get that supercooling allows extreme clock speeds.
That was new a decade ago.

All you've done is apply the same technique to a new chip.

Not original, not useful, and most importantly, not interesting.

Now, what I'd love to see would be taking a real world task, like authoring a dvd, or parsing a terabyte of log files, and then engineering a bleeding edge solution for that.

mr roboto

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
It takes ZERO talent to do this. Try overclocking your Q6600 to 5Ghz using 4 cores otherwise it's just a pathetic overclocking record by a technicality. It's not a quad core but a crippled quad which is in fact a dual core. See but using four cores, now that would really take some skill to do that. Tom's Hardware has really gone down the shitter since Best Of Media took over. This may impress people new to technology and overclocking but you can't fool the rest of us. This is exactly the reason I get most of my news and LESS BIASED opinion from AnandTech HardOCP.

robjosh1995

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
i have now beaten this world record at with a intel core 2 quad q6600 at 6.75 ghz in bios and 5.85 in windows 7 running at 34c .

Status
Not open for further replies.