Overclocking: Tom's Sets World Record

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I would have loved to see this monster overclock be thrown at multithreaded
apps and benchmarks and compared to the non over clock and around the average overclock for the Q6600. Great job though!

Jfoulquier

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]LsRamAir[/nom]Ummm, that isnt a Q6600 anymore once you deactivate half the cores. Its just a core 2 duo now, the real World Record needs to have cores 2 and 3 functioning... since they are less stable.[/citation]
Well, it depends on what you want to have. If your objective is to run under Windows... It's difficult to do without :D

nitemareglitch

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
What type of validation routine did you go through? How many passes of Prime 95? How many runs of OCCT, or even Futuremark? If you just booted to Windows this is not "validation"

G

Well this was certainly a long article in the making. Just pictures with long captions after 5 months..

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'd like to know what's required for the frequency to be "validated". Also, no benchmarks? As for the out of date hardware, this was done in February (at least that's what the article says) so at the time it was probably current. Of course that begs the question, why did it take 5 months to put 20 photos and a few words together for this article?

Have to agree, Lucious, just too bad it's so irrelevant. It would be far more interesting to see how high they could go with any consumer-available (i.e. anyone who can afford it, can buy it) components that must all fit within the confines of a full tower case. The system would also be required to be essentially maintenance-free, other than routine stuff like blowing out dust; for continuous operation.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
@jtt283 and others

This was about setting a world record not about making something useful. You might as well say that having the 100 meter dash record is useless and that nobody should bother trying to beat it. I applaud their aspirations and achievement.

peteroy

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 14, 2004
Where's the video with the cool music like you did with the 5Ghz project? I love that video, you should have made a video for this too.

rhysee

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Sorry this record is null , and its been beaten already see hwbot

Using 2 cores ?.. silly article .. movie didnt have any sound either..

pcchip

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003
Good job guys!

Why did you pick a 65nm cpu to use? Is it because the current q6600 record was one that you thought you could break, or was there another reason? (are the current 45nm cpu records insane?)

G

that is a crap record, they only have 2 of the cores OCed, which is what makes OCing quads so hard, getting them ALL up to that speed.

BOOOO

Status
Not open for further replies.