Question question as to why i cant seem to maximize my cpu's potential with plenty of thermal headroom

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
i have a amd 7900x3d i set pbo according to a toms article 162, 180, 220 i believe it was, anyways im playing skylines 2 it maximizes cpu usage totaly however my max temps with a thermalright 360 aio water cooler an themral grizzly kryosheet ,

my max temps are 69 degrees, average is bit above 60 but my clocks are averging 5.0 all cores so there clearly plenty of thermal headroom, and all the cores run full tilt so im just wondering why it does'nt run closer to somthin like 5.2 on cdvcache cores and 5.6 on non vcach cores

check with hwinfo sensors what is limiting it, but most likely you would hit EDC limit, which stands for electric design current...which in anoter words means VRM,
vrm on mainboard usualy runs at 1/3 up to max 1/2 amperage...to cope with peak load/ripples..in other words to raise EDC, there should be headroom, but VRM would also start to heat up, so make sure your VRM temps are fine

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
CPU: Ryzen 7900X3D

Idk for sure what my speeds are but when using hwinfo an running city skylines 2 wich is heavily multithreaded I max out all cores at 69c after running awhile an everything so clearly I have plenty of headroom

but most I get on average in hwinfo is 4.9to5ghz for ccd0 the vcache ccd and 5 to 5.1 on the non vcache ccd

So couple questions are there any programs that can show me a graph of the cpu speeds cause I'm just using the averaging of using hwinfo running the game a minute then reseting min max to try to get most accurate reading for all cores being maxed

Another things I noticed to idk if this is normal or not but my cpu seems to be running full tilt ever sense enabling pbo boost and for whatever reason some stuff no matter what I do will save including reseting cmos
Like I can't get it to disable the igpu an save those settings I set the fclck to 2000 it saved but now I can't change it if I do it won't save in bios some settings save some do not

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
i have a gigabyte board theres suppose to be an automatic way to find thye best cores an automaticly tune the core offsets but it doesnt exist i shopws it as being a function in the help file but isnt in the program why is it missing what setting and where would cause this not to be an option

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Please stop creating multiple threads, all related to OCing your rig.

Honestly, the best way to use a Ryzen is NOT to OC it. Gains will be minimal and will just use more power and create more heat. If you insist, just let Ryzen Master manage for you.

The juice is simply not worth the squeeze.