Question Overclocking

Aug 19, 2022
Okay ill make this fast i have a ryzen 5 1500x and x470 gaming plus and VENGEANCE® RGB PRO 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit
so im trying to oc my ram and cpu and for some reason i cant get it stable at all im new to this overclocking stuff right now i tried to oc my cpu 1.35V and 3.7ghs
and rams im on 3000mhs because when i go to 3200 my pc would crash instantly

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Officially the 1500X is only going to support DDR4 2666. Though I would think it would do 3200. First gen Ryzen was pretty sensitive to memory though. Should definitely concentrate on getting the memory working and ignoring the CPU clock speeds until then. You will get way more performance benefit from the increased memory speed than 50Mhz here or there on the cores.

Aug 19, 2022
Officially the 1500X is only going to support DDR4 2666. Though I would think it would do 3200. First gen Ryzen was pretty sensitive to memory though. Should definitely concentrate on getting the memory working and ignoring the CPU clock speeds until then. You will get way more performance benefit from the increased memory speed than 50Mhz here or there on the cores.

If i go back to the original speed 3.5 then im able to play on 3200 but you sure the ram speed will benefit me more than the 50Mhz on the cores??

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
For games, a few percent here and there, but it also depends an awful lot on the game and your desired outcome. Maximum FPS with low settings it will have a larger impact. If you always try to run your GPU at the highest resolutions and settings, minimal impact.

You can still try to do both, but clearly your CPU is on the ragged edge of stability at 3200, which is in keeping with Ryzen 1000's characteristics.

Aug 19, 2022
For games, a few percent here and there, but it also depends an awful lot on the game and your desired outcome. Maximum FPS with low settings it will have a larger impact. If you always try to run your GPU at the highest resolutions and settings, minimal impact.

You can still try to do both, but clearly your CPU is on the ragged edge of stability at 3200, which is in keeping with Ryzen 1000's characteristics.
can you please tell me more about the characteristics or where can i read on them

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You should be able to track down reviews for Ryzen 1000 and scaling with memory. Some times it was pretty revealing, but sometimes not so much. They tend to use fast GPUs for CPU testing, which can wipe out more interesting data. They often look at FPS average, when really you would be interested in 1% lows since the average Minimum frame rate tends to go up with better CPU performance. Top end will pretty much always be GPU limited unless you specifically are testing for low GPU usage scenarios (ie max FPS in something like CS:GO or Fortnite)

Plenty of articles from the time explaining people's difficulty in getting past DDR4 3000 speeds. This improved with AGESA updates, so be sure to check for the latest BIOS for your board.

You might strike a balance between DDR4 3000 with tightened timings and a slight CPU overclock. Really the best solution at this point is probably to track down a used Ryzen 3600 or go straight to a 5600 or 5600X. Sell the 1500X while it still has some relevance for budget builders.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Aug 19, 2022
You should be able to track down reviews for Ryzen 1000 and scaling with memory. Some times it was pretty revealing, but sometimes not so much. They tend to use fast GPUs for CPU testing, which can wipe out more interesting data. They often look at FPS average, when really you would be interested in 1% lows since the average Minimum frame rate tends to go up with better CPU performance. Top end will pretty much always be GPU limited unless you specifically are testing for low GPU usage scenarios (ie max FPS in something like CS:GO or Fortnite)

Plenty of articles from the time explaining people's difficulty in getting past DDR4 3000 speeds. This improved with AGESA updates, so be sure to check for the latest BIOS for your board.

You might strike a balance between DDR4 3000 with tightened timings and a slight CPU overclock. Really the best solution at this point is probably to track down a used Ryzen 3600 or go straight to a 5600 or 5600X. Sell the 1500X while it still has some relevance for budget builders.
Oh between the ryzen 5000 seriers which one should i get i see that ryzen 5 5500 and cheap and works almost like the 5600 any ideas?

Aug 19, 2022

Or in general i can sell the 1500x for almost 108$ what do you think i should i get ?