Overheating GPU with unknown cause

Tobysauce

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Just recently, today out of no where my GPU has been overheating to the point where games are freezing/skipping and one time I was unable to turn off my computer. It only overheats when I play games- all my other temps are still normal though except the GPU (The program I use is Speccy) . For example when I play CS:GO it will start getting hot with 70c and then eventually work its way up to 84c which is where it will start skipping. I opened up the case and dusted everything thoroughly including the GPU and all the fans. I started it up and all the fans work as well. But that didn't fix the issue-the GPU still gets very hot. My idle temps seem to be normal still (for a nvidia card) which usually is around 30-40c. Before this problem my temp in CS:GO and most other games would usually not exceed over 65-68c. I recently got a 1080p widescreen monitor for christmas (dell e2414hr) its a low budget monitor but it gets the job done and is quite a step up from my last little one. I was wondering if that could be causing the heating issues? I also just got the Razer Deathadder 2013 edition today which comes with Razer Synapse but I doubt that could be responsible for it. Anyways, here are my specs:

GPU- Nvidia GTX 460

CPU- Intel Core i5-3470 3.20GHz

RAM- 8GB DDR3

Monitor- Dell E2414H

OS- Windows 7 64 bit

Solution
Make sure the fins of the HSF are clear of dust. If they are, and it is still bad:
Needed: 91% alcohol, new thermal paste (AS5 is readily available, even at Radio Shack). Coffee filters or paper towels.
1. Remove the HSF. Clean it and the top of the GPU off with a coffee filter or paper towel moistened with the 91% alcohol. If you use a paper towel, check for and blow off any fibers.
2. Place a lentil-sized dot of new thermal paste on the GPU. Remount the HSF; the pressure will spread the paste.
3. Re-install the card and test.
4. There are most likely video how-tos of this process on YouTube.

Tobysauce

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Yeah, the fan looked fine. It's an EVGA card. I bought it like 3 years ago off of newegg. I'm just not sure what to do at this point because I can't even play my games. Only 2-d games that aren't GPU demanding are safe right now. If the thermal paste is the problem what would I do about that or how can I tell? Also to note- my power supply- Thermaltake TR 600w

Make sure the fins of the HSF are clear of dust. If they are, and it is still bad:
Needed: 91% alcohol, new thermal paste (AS5 is readily available, even at Radio Shack). Coffee filters or paper towels.
1. Remove the HSF. Clean it and the top of the GPU off with a coffee filter or paper towel moistened with the 91% alcohol. If you use a paper towel, check for and blow off any fibers.
2. Place a lentil-sized dot of new thermal paste on the GPU. Remount the HSF; the pressure will spread the paste.
3. Re-install the card and test.
4. There are most likely video how-tos of this process on YouTube.

Solution

trunksi

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
Consider BitCoin miners as a problem. Download some temperature monitoring software and watch the temperature overtime. Don't run task manager as the BitCoin miner processes turn off if you start task manager, Also they don't work if you move your mouse. So run the temperature monitoring software and if your GPU starts overheating when you don't touch your mouse then 90% it's a BitCoin miner. Search Google for some program to remove it.