Question Overheating i7-7820X

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarzan201230

Reputable
Feb 6, 2018
Hi everyone,

Last week I came across a problem. My i7-7820X (3.6GHz) started overheating and shutting down. I bought this pc from someone a year and a half ago. When it first overheated (thus crashed), I took a look into the BIOS. I saw that my CPU was overclocked to 4.8GHz which was way too much. So I set everything back to default settings. Since then on I had even more overheating problems when just starting up my PC and after 5 min. Shutting down. But some days I can just play every game without any problems for hours. Does anyone know if there might be a possibility that my pump (Cooler Master ML240-L RGB) is broken?
Since then I also had a WHEA uncorrectable error since then.

tarzan201230

Reputable
Feb 6, 2018
Well what are the CPU temps? Load and idle. You can use something like HWInfo64 to find out.

I use core temp (I thought it was). I usually hang around 34 C when not doing any sort of games and when I did game it was around 45-50 C and now It takes 5 min. To go from 40->100 C. And when it doesn’t, my pc crashed with WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR as windows Error

tarzan201230

Reputable
Feb 6, 2018
If it is hitting 100c under load with that cooler, then the cooler is either not mounted properly or the pump is not running. Or possibly you are pumping way too much voltage into the CPU but that shouldn't be so with the BIOS at stock.

The cooler is definitely mounted properly because I applied new thermal paste twice (without letting any bubbles kick in). And I don’t know how to control if my pump is dead. I don’t feel heat coming of the radiator, could that maybe be an indication?

CV_Taihou

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
The cooler is definitely mounted properly because I applied new thermal paste twice (without letting any bubbles kick in). And I don’t know how to control if my pump is dead. I don’t feel heat coming of the radiator, could that maybe be an indication?
If the pump is dead, it would explain why you get a few minutes as it hits 100c. It's the liquid in the loop getting heatsoaked near the CPU block, and since the pump isn't circulating it, it isn't able to cool itself down.

I had the exact same thing happen last year and it was giving the same symptoms. The best way to see if it is the pump vs. it being something else is getting a cheap CPU cooler that can still keep the CPU under control. If it starts running without overheating with an air cooler of some sort, you can pretty safely assume the liquid cooler is dead.

tarzan201230

Reputable
Feb 6, 2018
If the pump is dead, it would explain why you get a few minutes as it hits 100c. It's the liquid in the loop getting heatsoaked near the CPU block, and since the pump isn't circulating it, it isn't able to cool itself down.

I had the exact same thing happen last year and it was giving the same symptoms. The best way to see if it is the pump vs. it being something else is getting a cheap CPU cooler that can still keep the CPU under control. If it starts running without overheating with an air cooler of some sort, you can pretty safely assume the liquid cooler is dead.

But was it possible for me to play GTA 5 the whole night yesterday without overheating? And the day before it overheated after 5 min of doing nothing.

CV_Taihou

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
But was it possible for me to play GTA 5 the whole night yesterday without overheating? And the day before it overheated after 5 min of doing nothing.
If it isn't consistent then it's hard to narrow down the issue, especially if it's only overheating some of the time. If it isn't a constant issue. Like Dunlop said you need to figure out if the pump is running when the CPU overheats. If it is then it's another problem. If it isn't then either the pump header on the motherboard is having issues (which I don't think is likely), or the pump itself is failing.

tarzan201230

Reputable
Feb 6, 2018
If it isn't consistent then it's hard to narrow down the issue, especially if it's only overheating some of the time. If it isn't a constant issue. Like Dunlop said you need to figure out if the pump is running when the CPU overheats. If it is then it's another problem. If it isn't then either the pump header on the motherboard is having issues (which I don't think is likely), or the pump itself is failing.

It’s really strange because I’ve done a lot of research about it and didn’t find the same problem anywhere. I don’t know if the WHEA UNCORRECTABLE error has something to do with it?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That cpu was likely also delidded to have been set to a 4.8ghz OC. If the liquid metal was poorly applied, it may be time for a reapplication...

The WHEA error is likely an unstable OC. Did you continue to get these errors after restoring default bios settings?

tarzan201230

Reputable
Feb 6, 2018
That cpu was likely also delidded to have been set to a 4.8ghz OC. If the liquid metal was poorly applied, it may be time for a reapplication...

The WHEA error is likely an unstable OC. Did you continue to get these errors after restoring default bios settings?

What you mean by the liquid metal? You mean the Thermal paste or...?
Yes the WHEA error came after my PC crashed from overheating and I resetted the overclockingssettings in the bios. But it's so strange because 2 hours ago, my pc would crash after 5 minutes of use because of overheating and now it isn't overheating while I didn't change anything.

tarzan201230

Reputable
Feb 6, 2018
Yes the WHEA error came after my PC crashed from overheating and I resetted the overclockingssettings in the bios. But it's so strange because 2 hours ago, my pc would crash after 5 minutes of use because of overheating and now it isn't overheating while I didn't change anything.

Never mind I just got the WHEA Uncorrectable Error again

CV_Taihou

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015

Delidding the CPU entails pulling the metal heat spreader off the top of the CPU itself, and replacing the stock thermal material with liquid metal for better thermal transfer.

CV_Taihou

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
Could that actually make the difference between overheating with thermal paste and not overheating with liquid metal?

It's not so much that it would be the difference. This is all inside the actual CPU package itself. Something like this going from top to bottom.

CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
CPU Heat spreader
Liquid Metal
CPU

If the CPU has been delidded, replacing the liquid metal may help, or it may not change anything. I would try to contact the seller from when you bought the PC and ask if he/she delidded the CPU.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Could that actually make the difference between overheating with thermal paste and not overheating with liquid metal?
Thermal paste is what you put on top of the cpu's IHS.
Intel-9th-Generation-Solder-CPUs.jpg

Liquid metal is what you apply UNDER it.
03.jpg

IF the LM application wasn't done correctly, cpu temps get worse after a period of time. If done right, it should last the lifetime of it's use.

Have you confirmed whether the pump is still working?

tarzan201230

Reputable
Feb 6, 2018

03.jpg

IF the LM application wasn't done correctly, cpu temps get worse after a period of time. If done right, it should last the lifetime of it's use.

I don’t know if i’ll be able to contact the seller but i’ll Try. I think my pump is still working, I still see RGB lights and hear noise but it could come from my fans as well (the noise)

tarzan201230

Reputable
Feb 6, 2018

03.jpg

I don't quite get my pc anymore. It has been running normally for 10 minutes now without any issues?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
When it comes to AIOs, if a fan(s) is working, the unit should still be able to provide cooling.
But if the pump is busted, the unit is no good; you should notice heat around the cpu block, and the radiator and tubing will be cool as well, meaning the water isn't moving.

tarzan201230

Reputable
Feb 6, 2018
When it comes to AIOs, if a fan(s) is working, the unit should still be able to provide cooling.
But if the pump is busted, the unit is no good; you should notice heat around the cpu block, and the radiator and tubing will be cool as well, meaning the water isn't moving.

Well that’s actually the case at the moment because my radiator doesn’t get warm and the cooler casing and around the cpu gets very hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.