Overheating Issues with 2 Year Old Build

gallen89

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007
Hey guys, I have a bit of a conundrum. I'm having overheating issues with my PC - they started up rather recently. I have had three black screens while the system has been under load - the computer just shuts off entirely and has to be rebooted. At first I thought the problem was the the power supply - the psu has a hard-wired variable speed fan that has annoyed me since I purchased it, and I assumed it just died. However, after downloading CPUID HWMonitor, I noticed that the graphics card is idling at really high temperatures. Upon inspection, the GPU fan does not seem to work. It isn't seized up, and there is no apparent scoring damage to suggest it was shorted out at all. Switching the PCI-e connector did not seem to correct the problem.

After this, I decided to do a load test with HWMonitor to see what it might tell me (other than that a non-operational GPU fan isn't ideal). The first thing that weirded me out is that, under load (two monitors, one running CIV 5 and the other running HWMonitor), I was running at about 63 C, which is about right, if a little high. However, somewhat randomly (at least, I couldn't identify a pattern), something would happen, and the temperature would skyrocket, getting up to almost 90 C in about 90 seconds. At this point, a fan kicks on, I'm pretty sure on the power supply, and then the system cools back down to about 63. This would go on for quite a while (about 35 minutes) before finally settling down and idling at about 65 C.

Another weird thing I noted here is that HWMonitor at least thinks the fan is going. At idle it reads it running at 159 RPM, and at least once while under load it hit 4000 rpm. This is a bit weird as well.

Later, I began to observe the system while idling, and I noticed that while idling (just using Chrome), the GPU is running at about 77 C. It climbs slowly - about a degree every 5-8 minutes.

I know the GPU fan not running properly is a problem, but I am really confused why it runs at load so cool but idles so hot. I'm wondering if there is potentially something wrong with the power supply that might be adversely affecting the overall system temperature. In my case, the psu and gpu are relatively close together, so one over heating may be impacting the other. There don't seem to be major temperature problems with anything else in the case.

I haven't noticed any particularly abnormal temperatures on anything else. The CPU got to 75 C under load, the MOBO never higher than 41 C, the hard drive never higher than 43 C. The ambient temperature in the room is about 30 C, and while the case is in a bit of a tight space, it has ample space for exhaust from the back and intake from the front (only about an inch on the top, though).

To offset the inevitable question, I'm not overclocked at all. System specs are as follows:

Case: Rosewill Challenger (Front 120 mm intake, back 120 mm exhaust, top 140 mm intake)
PSU: Corsair GS600
MOBO: ASUS M5A97
GPU: PowerColor Radeon 7850 2 GB 256 bit (was open box)
CPU: AMD FX-8320 with aftermarket Zalman CNPS5X
RAM: 2-8 GB HyperX Black DDR3 1600

So, I guess the general question is, anyone have any clue as to what the hell is the matter?

Ibreakthings

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014
Get 5 Arctic Cooling F12's for all your fan slots and if you so wanted replace your heatsink fan with Arctic Cooling aswell and go crazy on overclocking do to the increase in cooling. Also sounds like your Thermal Paste is old i replaced my CPU and GPU stock thermal paste with MX-4 after 1 1/2 years and saw a 11C drop in temp.

gallen89

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007

I hadn't thought to update the drivers, I just went in and did that, no noticeable difference in the temperature, though. Nor in the RPM of the GPU fan.

gallen89

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007
Huh, this is weird. I downloaded MSI Afterburner to see if I could just override the default fan speed controls and set it to run higher. This worked for a bit - I was able to get the fan to run to get it down to 40 C, and it is supposed to never be at a lower speed than 50%. However, after a while the fan goes back down to 155 RPM, despite the Afterburner settings. However, as of yet it hasn't allowed the GPU to get over 54 C at idle, so I'd say this is a small victory. With the addition of the extra cooling fans, I may get this under control.

Update: Scratch that. It only works if I leave the GPU fan hard set at 65% or above. Anything below that reverts to the GPU fan basically turning off.

gallen89

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007
Yeah, no, that's fine. I'm kind of using this as a running log at this point in case anyone else comes across it until I figure out a solution. Don't feel obligated to follow or anything. I appreciate the help.