Overheating with watercooling :(

bentheepic

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Hello everyone. I bought a new computer around Christmas time and I had never even though to look at my CPU temperatures because I have watercooling. I recently realized that my GPU temperatures were going really high (but acceptable) and my CPU was going past the danger zone. I don't know how long this has been happening, but I know I need to fix it.

CPU: AMD Phenom 2 x6 1055t
Case: Coolermaster HAF 912
Watercooler: Asetek 510LC with a standard 120mm fan
Fans: A 120mm fan for both the front and side of my PC (not including the one on the radiator)
GPUs: 2 5770s in crossfire

IDLE CPU TEMPS
CPU: ~35c
Cores: ~25c

After playing Bad Company 2 for ~20 minutes
CPU: ~70c
Cores: ~60c

Only one of my 5770s gets super hot
idle:
GPU1: ~50c
GPU2: ~40c
BC2:
GPU1: ~90c
GPU2: ~78c

I also have one specific question to ask:
Will getting more case fans improve my CPU temperature, even though it is watercooled?

I am already ordering a big 200mm fan for the top of my case and another 120mm one for the front.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
CPU temps are high, but not dangerous. Same with the GPU temps, it's actually very average for the one GPU to be a lot hotter than the other, because the top card will never cool as well as the bottom one, as the heat from and the card itself will hinder cooling of the top card. The temps are a bit high, but not extremely so.

It is very high for watercooling though. Have you made sure the waterblocks are securely fitted? Are they sufficiently fixed? Is the water pump working as it should? What is the water temperature during gaming? If the water (cooling liquid) or the radiator is very hot, then your radiator may not be properly functioning (may have a blockage, fan may not be blowing enough).

Either way, it's recommended to not let things heat up too much for as long as you have the issue, you wouldn't want it to be damaged.

Something sounds fishy with your WC setup, unless you overclocked that 1055T to 4 GHz+. The 1055T is a 95-watt chip and at stock, the little extruded-aluminum heatsink AMD ships with the CPU will keep it cooler than 70 C. I'd check to see if the fan on the radiator is running and not having its RPMs dialed all the way down as the Asetek unit is roughly comparable to an okay 120 mm tower heatsink in cooling. You'd expect full-load temps in the 30s to 40s if the CPU is at stock. If you have it overclocked pretty heavily, then maybe 70 C is the correct temp.

The reason your second GPU is warm is because it is sucking in the hot air from its neighbor. Adding another case fan should cool it off some.