[SOLVED] Overheating

Jun 22, 2020
Hi all,

Today I installed my new Ryzen 5 3600 with the stock wraith stealth cooler. I did some benchmarks in GTA V and played a little bit of Assassin's Creed Syndicate and I've noticed that the CPU temperature tends to jump quite high. In AC it stayed on 75 Celsius, but when I did the GTA benchmark, it jumped up to a whopping 87 before settling to a fix 78.

I installed a new thermal paste on it instead of the stock one (Arctic MX-4) and followed every procedure of the cooler installation. My room temperature is roughly 25 degrees. The ventilation of the case is okay, I have both an intake and exhaust fan installed (120mm). I have no idea why it could be this hot. Maybe I need a better cooler? (Which is weird given the fact that I only heard positive about the stock AMD coolers..)

After this, now that I've started playing for longer periods, the PC shuts down unexpectedly. I have a new Corsair RM650x, so I doubt that the PSU would cause it. I started monitoring the CPU temp after the first shutdown, but I haven't noticed anything extremely high (like 90). For whatever reason, it shut down a second time as well. That was when I decided to remove the side panel and put a ventilator next to the PC. It didn't shut down ever since (~40 mins in-game), so I think it will be a temperature problem.

What could it be? Is there any way to monitor other devices as well? I have a 1070 FTW from EVGA, which never goes above 70-75 degrees, so that's out of the question as well. What could I do to fix/investigate this?

Solution
If you heard "only positive about stock AMD coolers" then you've been listening to the wrong people. Yes, there are a lot of people who say they are fine, but they are not. They suck. And your temperatures are consistent with what I saw on all the Ryzen builds I have done before I upgraded them to aftermarket cooling.

Do you have the means to upgrade the cooler?
If you heard "only positive about stock AMD coolers" then you've been listening to the wrong people. Yes, there are a lot of people who say they are fine, but they are not. They suck. And your temperatures are consistent with what I saw on all the Ryzen builds I have done before I upgraded them to aftermarket cooling.

Do you have the means to upgrade the cooler?

Solution
Any of these three would be a very good choice for that CPU, but much may depend on what case you have and what height of CPU cooler it supports.

You might also DEFINITELY want to consider an additional intake fan and an additional exhaust fan. One intake in front and one intake in the rear are probably not sufficient for most modern hardware and certainly not enough for most gaming systems.