GBDev

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2016
Hello, is it possible to overclock the i9-9900k to 5.0Ghz instead of 3.6Ghz on the Aorus Z390 Pro? I want to know how to do it, and if it will affect temperature in a good way or bad way. I also want to know if it'll over heat or not using the ATC800 AORUS CPU Cooler. Thanks

EDIT: also wanted to ask aswell if its possible to overclock ram to its original 3600MHz instead of it being at 2666Mhz rn

Last edited:
Solution
Short answer, yes.

Long answer:

Demanding more from the CPU will require more input voltage and increase temperatures. That cooler is 'okay' based on the size and heat pipes. Probably something akin to a cooler master hyper evo 212 or Deepcool Gammax 400. 5Ghz all cores might not work so great, you would have to work your way up to it.

3.6Ghz is what the CPU is actually rated to do. the K means it is unlocked and you can make it do things that Intel doesn't officially support. 5Ghz all core, or "Enhanced Multi-Core" performance mode for Gigabyte boards is the setting you want to try. Might not go so well, be prepared for overheating.

3600Mhz memory, that should just be a matter of setting up the XMP profile for the RAM.

Really...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Short answer, yes.

Long answer:

Demanding more from the CPU will require more input voltage and increase temperatures. That cooler is 'okay' based on the size and heat pipes. Probably something akin to a cooler master hyper evo 212 or Deepcool Gammax 400. 5Ghz all cores might not work so great, you would have to work your way up to it.

3.6Ghz is what the CPU is actually rated to do. the K means it is unlocked and you can make it do things that Intel doesn't officially support. 5Ghz all core, or "Enhanced Multi-Core" performance mode for Gigabyte boards is the setting you want to try. Might not go so well, be prepared for overheating.

3600Mhz memory, that should just be a matter of setting up the XMP profile for the RAM.

Really long answer:

Proper overclocking guide:

https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/8481/coffee-lake-overclocking-guide/index.html

8th gen and 9th gen are basically interchangeable. Just that 9th gen can go a little further.

Solution