Question Owners of 6600XT - What is the quietest Radeon 6600 XT? are they quiet in general?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
I'm looking to upgrade from my GTX 1070 to a 6600 XT Radeon and I was looking for the quietest models there are. Unless they're all quiet?
My assumption is they're quiet in general with a 160W TDP only.

So looking for some advice from current owners as to how quiet their models are.
Do they have any features where the fans won't spin unless they reach a certain temperature?

I'm all about silent PCs and I absolutely hate fan noise!

Thanks in advance!

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
The 6600XT has quieter Idle noise but the 1070 has quieter load noise with the 6600XT being around 5db higher. Take what you hear with your 1070 under load and imagine if you can manage with a slightly higher volume.

Do you mean all 6600XT are louder by default?
Wouldn't aftermarket models have different coolers?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The 6600XT has quieter Idle noise but the 1070 has quieter load noise with the 6600XT being around 5db higher. Take what you hear with your 1070 under load and imagine if you can manage with a slightly higher volume.
How would you know this when the models have different blade designs, thus making different sounds or pitch at a given rpm, different fan sizes(like 90 and 100mm), and different rpms?
Did you test a bunch of them?

@mossi
The default fan curves on most gpus sucks.
Create your own fan curve, at which point, it matters less 'which is quietest', because they all can be adjusted to be quiet, except if chassis airflow is poor or the manufacturer half-assed on their cooler.[Take RX 590 Fatboy and RX 5700XT Evoke as a couple of examples.]
Because the worse those are, the less headroom you have to make the card as quiet as you desire.

Reactions: mossi

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
How would you know this when the models have different blade designs, thus making different sounds or pitch at a given rpm, different fan sizes(like 90 and 100mm), and different rpms?
Did you test a bunch of them?

@mossi
The default fan curves on most gpus sucks.
Create your own fan curve, at which point, it matters less 'which is quietest', because they all can be adjusted to be quiet, except if chassis airflow is poor or the manufacturer half-assed on their cooler.[Take RX 590 Fatboy and RX 5700XT Evoke as a couple of examples.]
Because the worse those are, the less headroom you have to make the card as quiet as you desire.

So you're basically saying if it's from a reputable brand that looks like it has a decent aftermarket cooler I could adjust it to whatever I want?
I never tweaked fan curves on any GPU before, just went for the ones that I know are definitely quiet in the past.
That's interesting I may attempt that with the 6600XT when I get it.

jeremy0118

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016
So you're basically saying if it's from a reputable brand that looks like it has a decent aftermarket cooler I could adjust it to whatever I want?
I never tweaked fan curves on any GPU before, just went for the ones that I know are definitely quiet in the past.
That's interesting I may attempt that with the 6600XT when I get it.
I'll check it out thanks!

I would recommend staying the hell away from AMD though. My friend has a RX 6500 XT and has been suffering from constant driver timeouts.

Then i bought a RX 6600 since it hit MSRP and within 2 days i had a driver timeout + blackscreen. Currently im in the process of RMA ing the card.

What are the odds. 2 people with rocksolid pc's running Nvidia cards, starting to crash when switching to brand new AMD cards. Its not.

THis is no longer coincidence and forums are flooded by people with this issue. Please do not buy AMD

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The decibel production of each card during idle and loads.
???
That's vague.

"The 6600XT has quieter Idle noise..."
They're all equally quiet if there's a fan off mode, which many cards have.

"... but the 1070 has quieter load noise with the 6600XT being around 5db higher. Take what you hear with your 1070 under load and imagine if you can manage with a slightly higher volume."
Which GTX 1070 or 6600XT models? Some are going to be quieter/louder under load than others, and others will not have a noticeable difference.

I recommend the water cooled versions if there are any. I have an asus 6900xt LC with a 240mm radiator and it stays cool and quiet
There aren't any for a 6600XT.
Alphacool Eiswolf 2 gpu AIOs start at RX 6800. Custom loop starts with RX 6700XT, in which Alphacool seems to be the only brand that bothered - some of the other custom loop brands start at RX 6800.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
I would recommend staying the hell away from AMD though. My friend has a RX 6500 XT and has been suffering from constant driver timeouts.

Then i bought a RX 6600 since it hit MSRP and within 2 days i had a driver timeout + blackscreen. Currently im in the process of RMA ing the card.

What are the odds. 2 people with rocksolid pc's running Nvidia cards, starting to crash when switching to brand new AMD cards. Its not.

THis is no longer coincidence and forums are flooded by people with this issue. Please do not buy AMD

actually, seeing several people here in the forum having problem with their 6600xt made me afraid to buy the gpu. So I'm saving instead for an RTX 2060 which is a bit more expensive, but hopefully more reliable gpu (to pair with the i5-10600k pc I recently put together).

well, to be fair to AMD.. have a friend from Finland, his RX 580 has been serving him for 5 years now without problems, and he jokes about using the card for another 5 years or so. And I do own an AMD card, an antique HD5450 which served me well in the past - it still functions, of course cannot use it anymore since it's not good enough for today's games - but I still keep it around as a good luck charm of sorts. hehe

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@EyyMunchian
One more time... You can't just make those statements you did, and call it a day.
From TechPowerUp, there's fan stop and gaming loads across four 6600XTs right here(the 5th is a quiet bios of one of the 4), with a gap of more than 10 decibels between them, of 24.5 - 41.2dBA.
The test system is listed on page 4. How they test noise is further down the Temperatures and Fan Noise page. Click on the Noise Testing Details button, and you will see the following:
  • The tested graphics card is installed in an open bench system. [Basically, the side panel is removed. Most users will have it closed.] The system does not emit any noise on its own, all components are passively cooled.
  • All cards are loaded with the same test: a custom-engineered game-like load in Unreal Engine 4 that always renders the same frame at 60 FPS to minimize variance.
  • To ensure 100% loading of the GPU, the render complexity is set dynamically so that each card operates at peak performance without being CPU limited.
  • We're not using Furmark because it creates too high a load that forces fans to run faster than what is encountered during typical gameplay.
  • Noise results of other cards on this page are measurements of the respective reference design.
  • We let the card heat up and wait for fan speed to no longer change. Depending on the fan-control algorithm, this can often take quite some time.
  • Noise level measurements are conducted using a 1/2" calibrated measurement microphone that records onto the host PC using a digital audio processing pipeline. The microphone is recalibrated at least once a month.
  • Measurement distance is 50 cm. Our previous noise-level measurements were at 1 m. We reduced the distance to be able to better distinguish acoustics of the very quiet graphics cards.

Also from TPU, noise testing of 5.5 different GTX 1070s: Founders, Gaming X, SuperClocked, Gaming Z(just a higher binned Gaming X), Xtreme Gaming, and Quick Silver. [The Msi cards use the same fans, so it's just 4 different cards here too.]
The test system is on page 5, but it's not stated what the test chassis is. How they test noise is right at the top of the Fan Noise page this time:
In order to properly test how much noise a card's fan emits, we use a Bruel & Kjaer 2236 sound-level meter (~$4,000). It has the measurement range and accuracy we are looking for.
The tested graphics card is installed in a system that does not emit any noise on its own, using a passive PSU, passive CPU cooler, passive cooling on the motherboard, and a solid state drive. Noise results of other cards on this page are measurements of the respective reference design.

This setup allows us to eliminate secondary noise sources and test only the video card. To be more compliant with standards like DIN 45635 (we are not claiming to be fully DIN 45635 certified), the measurement is conducted at a distance of 100 cm and 160 cm off the floor. Ambient background noise inside the room was well below 20 dBA for all measurements. Please note that the dBA scale is not linear but logarithmic. 40 dBA is not twice as loud as 20 dBA since a 6 dBA increase results in double the sound pressure. The human hearing perception is a bit different, and it is generally accepted that a 10 dBA increase doubles the perceived sound level. 3D load noise levels are tested with a stressful game, not with Furmark.

I pull up a KitGuru review of a Strix 1070, and find that they tested from 100cm away in a closed Phanteks Enthoo Evolv - I've no idea why it says 'inside a Lian Li' on page 27.
For this 6600XT Gaming OC Pro, they tested in a Meshify S2(no clarification whether the side panel was on/off), 1ft(~30cm) away.

Tom's Hardware did their 1070 tests on an open test bench 50cm away.
The 6600XTs, on the other hand, it wasn't really clarified what the test was done on/in, but noise was measured from 15cm away from the gpu.

TL;DR:
1)There's no standard for testing, some of which won't reflect the OP's setup or that of other users.
2)Depending on the model, some cards will be louder/quieter than others.
3)The closer/further you are positioned from the hardware, the louder/quieter it will sound.

May 21, 2021
actually, seeing several people here in the forum having problem with their 6600xt made me afraid to buy the gpu. So I'm saving instead for an RTX 2060 which is a bit more expensive, but hopefully more reliable gpu (to pair with the i5-10600k pc I recently put together).

well, to be fair to AMD.. have a friend from Finland, his RX 580 has been serving him for 5 years now without problems, and he jokes about using the card for another 5 years or so. And I do own an AMD card, an antique HD5450 which served me well in the past - it still functions, of course cannot use it anymore since it's not good enough for today's games - but I still keep it around as a good luck charm of sorts. hehe

a 2060 is going to be a very very slight upgrade from a 1070 so I would say not worth it, a 2060 super? Maybe, I wouldn’t touch anything less than a 2070 super/2080 if I’m upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.