P-III Interrupt Question

G

Hi All,

I noticed that when I run Windows 2000 on my 2 Toshiba M500D Servers with P-III 550 Mh/z (dual processor motherboard) my interrupts per second counter is peaking and all the way up! Processor utilization is also about 10% when "nothing is happening".

Does anyone know what may be the problem and what I should do about bringing these servers to normal?

Thank you

rbertino

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
I'm not quite sure I'm understanding here. Servers are always doing something. Do the number of interrupts continue to grow? What purpose does each of these servers have in your network (PDC, BDC, Mail Services, etc.)?

It could just mean that there is more and more load being put on them, and that you may possibly need to start upgrading them or maybe moving some of their services to faster servers.

Or, maybe you mean that you had NT Server on them, but now with 2000 Server the number of interrupts has increased?

<i>I don't know anything about computers... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...</i> :lol:

DSutcliffe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You might have software running in the background that is causing the cpu requests. Check the task manager for something using more than 0-1%, that isn't the system idle task, at idle.

It might help to service pack or re-service pack the server also.

Check out my rig:
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737</A>

G

I'm not quite sure I'm understanding here. Servers are always doing something. Do the number of interrupts continue to grow? What purpose does each of these servers have in your network (PDC, BDC, Mail Services, etc.)?

Sorry for the confusion. What I wanted to say that these are P-III 550 and the number of interrupts is all the way up all the time. I observed "weaker" servers and the number of interrupts was far-far less. Same OS / Video / NIC etc.

It could just mean that there is more and more load being put on them, and that you may possibly need to start upgrading them or maybe moving some of their services to faster servers.

I tested and measured with no users and applications other then OS

Or, maybe you mean that you had NT Server on them, but now with 2000 Server the number of interrupts has increased?

NT show far lower interrupts on the same hardware - but I am not sure if it measures everything properly.

All "activity" is measured in "system idle" in task manager.