P III Motherboard

pastorjay

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2001
Hey all, I need to know if anyone has used a Biostar MB with a P III. A friend wants a puter built, I am an AMD nut, but He insists on Intel :-( He wants a middle of the road in cost board. Is not going to OC. What ya think?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Make sure it has the i815E chipset. Since he is not overclocking, and BIOSTAR generaly make a good product, that would be a good place to start. And make sure you get him an "EB" (133FSB) processor. And PC133 ram. Big performance gain over the 100MHz FSB.

Suicide is painless...........

G

Tell him he is stupid not to get a more performant computer for less, the AMD.
(Some ppl can be stubborn only because of beliefs and rumors, try at ALL cost to make him change his mind)

"Byte, Kilobyte, Megabyte, Gigabyte, Terrabyte, Pentabyte, Exabyte, Zettabyte, Yottabyte..."

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
make sure you get a 133 MHz FSB cpu, for a p3p 800eb, 133x6 will be much better than p3p 800, 100 x 8 altough the cpous run at same internal speeds.

get a i815E based motherboard, the Asus CUSL2 is a better choice, CUSL2-LS even better!

girish

die-hard fans, do not have have heat-sinks!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think he is looking for something cheaper. Although I own a CUSL2 and usually recomend them, I can honestly say that I have never had a problem with a BIOSTAR motherboard.

Suicide is painless...........

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
There's a problem with forcing common sense on someone, I.E. purchasing AMD instead of Intel when price/performance is paramount.

If they have a problem in the future they blame you and insist if you gave them what they wanted in the first place, everything would be fine.

Been there, done that. If they insist on paying for Intel, give them Intel, their choice.

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
I recently bought my friend the IWILL WO2.It's a great mobo based on intel's i815E and has a good onboard sound(4-speaker support and 3D if he/she wants to get the price down) and is very stable even under heavy load.It's got very nice overclocking capabilities too that seduced even my stubborn friend to o/c his Celeron 600 very easily via BIOS 1 MHz increments.
But I really think AMD is better price/performance wise. Some people just can't loose old habits and old names:-(

G

Good point, but maybe not FORCING common sense but SHOWING benchmarks and forum discussions can help show the guy he is wrong to buy intel... Just enough to let HIM choose amd after all just not to be the one that will get blamed for it's (not) potential clumsiness.

"Bit, Byte, Kilobyte, Megabyte, Gigabyte, Terrabyte, Petabyte, Exabyte, Zettabyte, Yottabyte..."

G

I had upgraded to a PIII procesor and new board. Old board would not support PIII. I choose Abit VT6X4. I had problems with this board and sent it back for a new one. While this board was sent out, I bought a Biostar M6TBA board. This board out performs the Abit board. I got the new Abit board back, and I having the same problems with this board as I had with the first board. One draw back to the Biostar board is that it only supports UDMA 33. But other than this item, this board rocks. Trouble free!!!
I paid only $29.00 for the Biostar board. If your friend insist on a PIII, then this is the board for him.