P3 Katmai availability

G

Hi folks,
Anyone knows if there are any Katmai core P3s clocked over 600Mhz in existence? I currently have a P3 (Katmai) 600Mhz on a P2B board from ASUS and I wish to upgrade it. I just don't want to go through the hassle of getting a Socket370-Slot1 adapter to fit a Coppermine CPU, overclocking my board, getting new PC133 SDRAM to replace my existing 128Mo PC100 SDRAM, etc.
Any thoughts?

G

There is no Katmai higher clocked than 600MHz. But you also dont need to upgrade your current mobo to let a coppermine run on it because there are also Coppermines for the Slot1 with a FSB of 100MHz.

Sometimes when you see a Coppermine they are called like "Pentium III 733MHz EB" just make sure there is no letter after the MHz. They show whether it's for a socket or slot and 100MHz-FSB version or not. But you still might have to update your BIOS.

G

I believe Coppermine with 100Mhz core clock also requires a core voltage between 1.6 and 1.8 volts that the P2B mobo doesn't support.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
We know there is no Katmai that will do the trick for you from Misel’s post. We suspect that your mobo cannot supply the correct voltage. If you do not wish to give up then a converter card seems your only choice short of a new mobo. Converter cards are not so bad. Do you know if your mobo can supply down to 1.65 volts? If it cannot then a converter card with its own voltage regulation will be needed. All the converter cards have means to select different voltages but only some (usually more expensive) can actually supply voltages your mobo can’t. On cheaper converter cards the jumpers for voltage selection may go down to 1.65 but this only works if the mobo can supply what has been selected. I think that you should be able to find a voltage regulating converter for about $25-30 usd. I tried to find the cpu voltage range for the p2b but all the asus website said was that it was automatic. Before you plug in a expensive new p3 be sure your hardware can supply the correct voltage.