P4 M 1.6Ghz

Steele

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I have a laptop with a P4 M 1.6Ghz in it... and it turns out that the P4M runs up to some monstrous clock speed on the same socket.

If I upgrade my CPU here am I going to wind up with an explosive fireball like in those videos or will it actually run with any decency?

Steele

endyen

Splendid
No fireball, but you wont be able to have kids, or even try.
Are you sure it's a P4? The max supported chip will depend on the chipset, and a faster chip will probably require better cooling.

Steele

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Here's what I know about it:

It is a Compaq (pre-HP) Presario 1505US, which is equipped with a Pentium 4 1.599Ghz.

I don't know what the chipset is, or how I find out. I imagine it is an Intel mainboard, but hoe one determines that in a laptop, I have no idea.

Is there a way to increase the cooling power of a laptop?

Steele

Steele

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
That XPad thing looks interesting, but it seems sortof gimmick-ish...

Any ideas on chipsets or other stuff relating to the original post? Not that chocolate chip cookies aren't great or anything, but...

Steele

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Have you tryed to google your laptop to see what comes up?

Also the Xpad is REALLY nice, my buddy has an XPS laptop and it will scold your nuts if you dont have something under it. I made something almost exactly like that for him. It WILL lower temps dramatically then a flat surface like a tble or lap

Steele

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I tried searching for stuff about this, and I can't find anything really informative. HP has a tech site, but it is essentially a dissambly manual and links to ordering expensive replacement parts ($600 for a hard drive?).

My major concerns are whether or not a faster processor would work at all (different bus speeds or what-not), and whether or not it would overheat.

Steele

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Changing to CPU will make little to no difference as there are other bottlenecks in a machine of that age such as the hdd and the memory. I would suggest a new dothan or yonah based machine if u want performance.

Steele

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I wouldn't mind upgrading to a new system, and I know it would really give the biggest performance difference, but it wold also cost more than I am willing to spend right now.

I'll probably just wait a year or so and do that.

Steele

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can probably run any desktop OR mobile P4 up to 2.4GHz with 400MHz bus in that thing, but the desktop processor would be a cooling problem.

And you can send me the old mobile, which I'll promptly clock up to 3.2GHz just to see if it blows.

Latest posts