P4C800 Deluxe

Updated the wifes BIOS today to 1017... Hope she likes her new boot
screen... : )

If I set the Intel IDE controller to "Enhanced" performance and set it for
PATA only, it does not see the Maxtor 6Y060L0 drive connected to the PATA
interface, nor here DVD or CDWrite on the secondary interface. If I set it
for PATA+SATA, then the drives are seen without a problem.

Promise controller is disabled and there are no SATA drives in the machine
at all.

Any ideas why this is happening? (Didn't happen with my machine, a -E
version of this board)

BTW, I did make sure I downloaded her and my BIOS separately so it's not a
case of mixing the BIOS images up.

Paul

Splendid

In article <FIOXc.223694$M95.144075@pd7tw1no>, "Noozer" <dontspam@me.here>
wrote:

> Updated the wifes BIOS today to 1017... Hope she likes her new boot
> screen... : )
>
> If I set the Intel IDE controller to "Enhanced" performance and set it for
> PATA only, it does not see the Maxtor 6Y060L0 drive connected to the PATA
> interface, nor here DVD or CDWrite on the secondary interface. If I set it
> for PATA+SATA, then the drives are seen without a problem.
>
> Promise controller is disabled and there are no SATA drives in the machine
> at all.
>
> Any ideas why this is happening? (Didn't happen with my machine, a -E
> version of this board)
>
> BTW, I did make sure I downloaded her and my BIOS separately so it's not a
> case of mixing the BIOS images up.

Enhanced mode makes all six possible drive ports (4 PATA, 2 SATA on
the Southbridge) available in OSes like Win2K or WinXP. This makes
the PATA/SATA/PATA+SATA thing redundant. The manual suggests leaving
it set at SATA, and some users actually experience a limiting of PATA
interface speed options, if using settings other than the SATA setting
recommended in the manual.

Note that when using Enhanced, a setting of SATA doesn't mean a
SATA drive is even going to be connected to the machine. But,
it does appear that SATA is the least troublesome setting.

Report back if that isn't the situation for you.

Paul

> > If I set the Intel IDE controller to "Enhanced" performance and set it
for
> > PATA only, it does not see the Maxtor 6Y060L0 drive connected to the
PATA
> > interface, nor here DVD or CDWrite on the secondary interface. If I set
it
> > for PATA+SATA, then the drives are seen without a problem.

> Enhanced mode makes all six possible drive ports (4 PATA, 2 SATA on
> the Southbridge) available in OSes like Win2K or WinXP. This makes
> the PATA/SATA/PATA+SATA thing redundant. The manual suggests leaving
> it set at SATA, and some users actually experience a limiting of PATA
> interface speed options, if using settings other than the SATA setting
> recommended in the manual.
>
> Note that when using Enhanced, a setting of SATA doesn't mean a
> SATA drive is even going to be connected to the machine. But,
> it does appear that SATA is the least troublesome setting.

Well, the machine is working the SATA+PATA selected so I'm not going to mess
with it. Didn't have any problems with the original BIOS though (1011?)

Mine worked fine on PATA, but I just added a SATA drive and now my BIOS is
also SATA+PATA. I haven't seen a difference though.