bill

Hello did anybody ever here of this with this board just put it together had
it running for about 30 min loading windows then wam up in flames two of I
think are capacitors just above the cpu whent in to flame check board it was
not shorted at the standoffs nothing touching under it i'm no pro but this
is not the first computer i put together never see this before
thanks Bill
P/S do need to change my shorts :)

Paul

Splendid

In article <Khdqd.2981$G14.1590@fe09.lga>, "Bill"
<mrrotti@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> Hello did anybody ever here of this with this board just put it together had
> it running for about 30 min loading windows then wam up in flames two of I
> think are capacitors just above the cpu whent in to flame check board it was
> not shorted at the standoffs nothing touching under it i'm no pro but this
> is not the first computer i put together never see this before
> thanks Bill
> P/S do need to change my shorts :)

Never heard of that before. When you get your replacement board,
I would be very suspicious of your PSU. It could be that the +12V
output is running a lot higher than it is supposed to. In which case
there could be other damage to the system. What kind of PSU
are you using ?

Normal candidates for burning, would be maybe a MOSFET (fails
in a conducting state) or a copper plane short. Capacitor
failure modes are to either explode, leak, or both. For a
capacitor to short, the voltage would have to rise above its
working voltage rating (printed on the cap label). Depending
on whether the caps involved are on the input side to Vcore,
or the output side of Vcore, would tell you whether the PSU
might have caused it, or a failure of the Vcore circuit somehow
is responsible.

Now, the nasty part of this, will be how much other stuff
got damaged in the computer as well.

If you know how to test a PSU, then I recommend doing that
before reusing it. You might want to take a sniff around
the PSU itself, to see if the failure started there. If
you don't know how to test a PSU, replace it instead.

You really need to understand exactly what part
of the circuit failed, to be able to predict what else
got damaged.

HTH,
Paul

bill

Thanks Paul fore the info sofar i checked the video card x800 pro and two
maxtor 250 hards and they seem to be ok now i hope the cpu and ram. are ok
because they are not mine they were on loan from my brother he will be
checking them out today so i'll know later if thier ok how are asus with
replacing the boards?
> In article <Khdqd.2981$G14.1590@fe09.lga>, "Bill"
> <mrrotti@bellatlantic.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello did anybody ever here of this with this board just put it together
>> had
>> it running for about 30 min loading windows then wam up in flames two of
>> think are capacitors just above the cpu whent in to flame check board it
>> was
>> not shorted at the standoffs nothing touching under it i'm no pro but
>> this
>> is not the first computer i put together never see this before
>> thanks Bill
>> P/S do need to change my shorts :)
>
> Never heard of that before. When you get your replacement board,
> I would be very suspicious of your PSU. It could be that the +12V
> output is running a lot higher than it is supposed to. In which case
> there could be other damage to the system. What kind of PSU
> are you using ?
>
> Normal candidates for burning, would be maybe a MOSFET (fails
> in a conducting state) or a copper plane short. Capacitor
> failure modes are to either explode, leak, or both. For a
> capacitor to short, the voltage would have to rise above its
> working voltage rating (printed on the cap label). Depending
> on whether the caps involved are on the input side to Vcore,
> or the output side of Vcore, would tell you whether the PSU
> might have caused it, or a failure of the Vcore circuit somehow
> is responsible.
>
> Now, the nasty part of this, will be how much other stuff
> got damaged in the computer as well.
>
> If you know how to test a PSU, then I recommend doing that
> before reusing it. You might want to take a sniff around
> the PSU itself, to see if the failure started there. If
> you don't know how to test a PSU, replace it instead.
>
> You really need to understand exactly what part
> of the circuit failed, to be able to predict what else
> got damaged.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <LEjqd.3244$Dx3.590@fe09.lga>, "Bill"
<mrrotti@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> Thanks Paul fore the info sofar i checked the video card x800 pro and two
> maxtor 250 hards and they seem to be ok now i hope the cpu and ram. are ok
> because they are not mine they were on loan from my brother he will be
> checking them out today so i'll know later if thier ok how are asus with
> replacing the boards?

Well, I think they'll be interested to replace this one :)
Typical turnaround time is three weeks.

If the drives and video card are OK, it looks more like a Vcore
output failure, in which case the CPU could be damaged, but
the RAM should be OK. Good luck with the CPU.

If you've got a digital camera, take a few pictures of the board
before you send it back. You never know when the pictures might
come in handy (like if this is about to become an epidemic). I
own one of these boards, so you can say I'm more than curious as
to what exactly caused the failure.

Paul

> > In article <Khdqd.2981$G14.1590@fe09.lga>, "Bill"
> > <mrrotti@bellatlantic.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello did anybody ever here of this with this board just put it together
> >> had
> >> it running for about 30 min loading windows then wam up in flames two of
> >> think are capacitors just above the cpu whent in to flame check board it
> >> was
> >> not shorted at the standoffs nothing touching under it i'm no pro but
> >> this
> >> is not the first computer i put together never see this before
> >> thanks Bill
> >> P/S do need to change my shorts :)
> >
> > Never heard of that before. When you get your replacement board,
> > I would be very suspicious of your PSU. It could be that the +12V
> > output is running a lot higher than it is supposed to. In which case
> > there could be other damage to the system. What kind of PSU
> > are you using ?
> >
> > Normal candidates for burning, would be maybe a MOSFET (fails
> > in a conducting state) or a copper plane short. Capacitor
> > failure modes are to either explode, leak, or both. For a
> > capacitor to short, the voltage would have to rise above its
> > working voltage rating (printed on the cap label). Depending
> > on whether the caps involved are on the input side to Vcore,
> > or the output side of Vcore, would tell you whether the PSU
> > might have caused it, or a failure of the Vcore circuit somehow
> > is responsible.
> >
> > Now, the nasty part of this, will be how much other stuff
> > got damaged in the computer as well.
> >
> > If you know how to test a PSU, then I recommend doing that
> > before reusing it. You might want to take a sniff around
> > the PSU itself, to see if the failure started there. If
> > you don't know how to test a PSU, replace it instead.
> >
> > You really need to understand exactly what part
> > of the circuit failed, to be able to predict what else
> > got damaged.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Paul

bill

Thanks I will take a picture and the ram is ok but he did not try the cpu in
his machine yet hope it's ok and if not will they make good on it? since
their board caused it
Bill
> In article <LEjqd.3244$Dx3.590@fe09.lga>, "Bill"
> <mrrotti@bellatlantic.net> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Paul fore the info sofar i checked the video card x800 pro and two
>> maxtor 250 hards and they seem to be ok now i hope the cpu and ram. are
>> ok
>> because they are not mine they were on loan from my brother he will be
>> checking them out today so i'll know later if thier ok how are asus with
>> replacing the boards?
>
> Well, I think they'll be interested to replace this one :)
> Typical turnaround time is three weeks.
>
> If the drives and video card are OK, it looks more like a Vcore
> output failure, in which case the CPU could be damaged, but
> the RAM should be OK. Good luck with the CPU.
>
> If you've got a digital camera, take a few pictures of the board
> before you send it back. You never know when the pictures might
> come in handy (like if this is about to become an epidemic). I
> own one of these boards, so you can say I'm more than curious as
> to what exactly caused the failure.
>
> Paul
>
>> "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message

>> > Never heard of that before. When you get your replacement board,
>> > I would be very suspicious of your PSU. It could be that the +12V
>> > output is running a lot higher than it is supposed to. In which case
>> > there could be other damage to the system. What kind of PSU
>> > are you using ?
>> >
>> > Normal candidates for burning, would be maybe a MOSFET (fails
>> > in a conducting state) or a copper plane short. Capacitor
>> > failure modes are to either explode, leak, or both. For a
>> > capacitor to short, the voltage would have to rise above its
>> > working voltage rating (printed on the cap label). Depending
>> > on whether the caps involved are on the input side to Vcore,
>> > or the output side of Vcore, would tell you whether the PSU
>> > might have caused it, or a failure of the Vcore circuit somehow
>> > is responsible.
>> >
>> > Now, the nasty part of this, will be how much other stuff
>> > got damaged in the computer as well.
>> >
>> > If you know how to test a PSU, then I recommend doing that
>> > before reusing it. You might want to take a sniff around
>> > the PSU itself, to see if the failure started there. If
>> > you don't know how to test a PSU, replace it instead.
>> >
>> > You really need to understand exactly what part
>> > of the circuit failed, to be able to predict what else
>> > got damaged.
>> >
>> > HTH,
>> > Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <psrqd.1451$wO6.321@fe08.lga>, "Bill"
<mrrotti@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> Thanks I will take a picture and the ram is ok but he did not try the cpu in
> his machine yet hope it's ok and if not will they make good on it? since
> their board caused it
> Bill

I don't think they ever replace more than their own board.
How could they ever be sure exactly what caused the failure ?
For example, you could get the replacement, connect it up,
and experience the same failure - and then, you would know
that something other than the motherboard was doing it.

Imagine what kind of claims they would get if they started
doing that. I'm really surprised the warranty doesn't have more
strings attached as it is. It is all too easy for an overclocker
who ruins a board, to get a new one.

On the other hand, the engineering staff at Asus would be very
interested as to what failed. When you make 2 million motherboards
a month, an epidemic of failures like that could ruin the company.
If a board burns, it would have to be thrown away, and could not
be repaired.

Paul

> > In article <LEjqd.3244$Dx3.590@fe09.lga>, "Bill"
> > <mrrotti@bellatlantic.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks Paul fore the info sofar i checked the video card x800 pro and two
> >> maxtor 250 hards and they seem to be ok now i hope the cpu and ram. are
> >> ok
> >> because they are not mine they were on loan from my brother he will be
> >> checking them out today so i'll know later if thier ok how are asus with
> >> replacing the boards?
> >
> > Well, I think they'll be interested to replace this one :)
> > Typical turnaround time is three weeks.
> >
> > If the drives and video card are OK, it looks more like a Vcore
> > output failure, in which case the CPU could be damaged, but
> > the RAM should be OK. Good luck with the CPU.
> >
> > If you've got a digital camera, take a few pictures of the board
> > before you send it back. You never know when the pictures might
> > come in handy (like if this is about to become an epidemic). I
> > own one of these boards, so you can say I'm more than curious as
> > to what exactly caused the failure.
> >
> > Paul
> >
> >> "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message

jw

I've had this board since March of this year, no trouble here, but I am
going to keep a fire extinguisher close. :) ASUS is good about RMA's.
Just call them and they will take care of it.

JW

"Bill" <mrrotti@bellatlantic.net> wrote in message
> Hello did anybody ever here of this with this board just put it together
> had it running for about 30 min loading windows then wam up in flames two
> of I think are capacitors just above the cpu whent in to flame check board
> it was not shorted at the standoffs nothing touching under it i'm no pro
> but this is not the first computer i put together never see this before
> thanks Bill
> P/S do need to change my shorts :)

"Bill" wrote
> Hello did anybody ever here of this with this board just put it together
had
> it running for about 30 min loading windows then wam up in flames two of I
> think are capacitors just above the cpu whent in to flame check board it
was
> not shorted at the standoffs nothing touching under it i'm no pro but this
> is not the first computer i put together never see this before
> thanks Bill
> P/S do need to change my shorts :)

Hi,

well I had a P4C800e for about two months now, I noticed that my memory
(PC3200 Ballistix) and Northbridge were running *Blazing* hot so I changed
my cooling set-up, now have a 120mm fan on a Zalman fan bracket blowing down
on CPU, NB and RAM, all works great!

The same components never ran that hot in another mobo (ABIT AI7) so I
suspect that the P4C800e does indeed run very hot, not sure about bursting
into flames though ^ ^ !!

Wayne ][

TRENDING THREADS