P4M800Pro-M & DDR2 RAM Problem

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

foxhound2001

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Hi there, I recently bought a intel core 2 duo 1.8 GHz at fry's and it came with this mobo and my problem is when I plug it in the monitor and turn my comp on nothing shows up the monitor it's just black screen. I use a ddr400 pc3200 2x 512mb stick and have tried a third stick of the same kind also 3 different monitors, 3 different hard drives and lastly 2 video card and the mobo's own video plug but still nothing shows up on the monitor, everything on the cpu like the system fan, processor fan works even the keybord lites up so any idea on whats the problem??

Oh and one more thing this mobo and processor combo is the 1st exchange already cause this first combo (also the same mobo and processor of its kind) gave me the same identical problem

JET007

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Greetings Foxdude,

When you turn on your CPU do you hear a "Default Beep"? Doe's the status of your monitor led change? (yellow to green) The first thing that happens when you apply power is the CPU attempts to read the instruction set firmware (BIOS) and load the contents into RAM.
Try this.. Disconnect every thing except 1 memory stick and use the on-board video port. So basically all you have hooked up and running is the CPU,1 Memory,and the monitor. Disconnect all drives including the floppy. Clear the CMOS. This is a jumper on your MBO. If your not sure, pull out the battery on your MBO and wait 5 mins, then reinstall and energize. You should see at least a change. If you still have the exact same symptoms, I would Verify if the CPU is compatible with the MBO, and also check for damage in the Socket.
Let me know how it turns out.

JET007

foxhound2001

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Greetings to you to and thanks for the help,

I dont hear a defult beep or any beep at all, the monitor light is on constant yellow. I tried clearing the CMOS and connecting only those three but it still gave me the same result. I also dont see any damage socket either, but I do think it might be a compatibity problem since this core 2 duo is a bit new compared to the other intel conroe processors, By the way my processors model is E4300 so if anyone can confirm the compatibility issue between this chip and the motherboard it'll help me alot to pinpoint the problem.

TomCA

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
I don't know if this will help, but...

I purchased this board and the Intel Boxed P4 631 combo from Fry's. All went just fine. At least so far all seems well after about a week of use.

I decided to get the board as well for my system, but went with the P4Duo E4300 combo. Baaaddd choice.

As others have stated, when the power is turned on, nothing on the screen period. Everything comes on, but the screen says no signal. Yes, tried the options that have been mentioned here and other sites. Nothing.

So, before I returned the board and the E4300 for the SECOND time, I decided to try the E4300 in the other system that has been fine. Well... as you might have guessed...same problem.

Now I don't know if I should just return both for a refund, or get a P4 631 for it.

I've been an AMD guy for years, maybe this is telling me something :(
If AMD would have settled on a socket design to go with for a few years, I'd have gone with AMD. This AM2 or 939 is a pain!

Thanks for the Site and your time,
Tom

JET007

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Greetings from So Cal.

It sounds to me like ECS Should of done some more Testing before they flooded the MBO market with these different versions\with different chipsets. I am Confident that the vendors or retail outlets that are selling these things with various Processor bundles have no Idea what will Play with what, But I can tell you this, When I took my MBO back to "Fry's" after 6 weeks of trying to get it to go, I exchanged it for an exact model and style (P4m800pro-M V2) and kept the Original CPU (P945\LG775 3.4Ghz). The New one Had noticable removed Contact points (Mico-Pins) in the LG775 Socket. My CPU has been Screaming ever since.
Take those things back to "Fry's", and talk to the Manager because the sales people on the floor cannot help you.

Keep the Faith,

JET007

TomCA

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
I just wanted to add that both boards are V2. Both boards also have the same pins in the socket, all match both CPU's.

JET007, where are the pins located that were removed in your board?
Which Fry's did yo go to, Manhattan Beach?

Tom

foxhound2001

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
OK so im about 90% positive that it needs a bios update so what I did was I purchaced an intel celeron processor so that this mobo will work properly and I will be able to update the bios and swap my intel e4300 core 2 duo back in after the bios update. So now my question is I've never done a bios update so does anyone here know how to make a bootable floppy disk with the updated bios, what pins do I need to move in the mobo and lastly when one of you guys answer my first two questions then how do I execute the update in the main bios? or make it so that the computer boots the floppy first??

ps I just downloaded the new bios at the ecs website.

JET007

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Greetings,
The pins that I observed that were common to both MBO's (Removed) were .. If you looked at the socket with pin 1 at your left (MBO) facing down or towards you, there was 1,2-6,8 on the bottom or front left side and 1-3 maybe 5 removed on the back left side (corners) these are quite Noticable because at first I thought It was Damaged, so I used a good Mag glass. The MBO that I got from "Fry's the second time had the same contact points removed AND About 10 -15 removed from the center of the socket moving up to the right rear of the socket. I was skeptical, But yet It works. The ECS Dudes Are having problems as well. I called them before I went back to "Fry's". It's hit and miss, because there are so many Pm pro's out there..All with a different configuration. By the way ,My problem Originally was "Constantly rebooting for no apparent reason" and this forum Helped me. I live in SanDiego, but I went to "Fry's" in SanMarcos ,Ca.
Let me know how it goes, I'm a hardware Dude by Occupation, and I really get Annoyed when I buy something New and It does not work.

JET007

TomCA

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Jet007, I figured if it was the same store, I might ask for the guy that helped you.

Good news so far. I dl'ed the new bios 061214s and applied it to the working MB with the 631 in it. All came up as it should with the new bios date.
I pulled the 631 and installed the E4300, it booted!!! I was able to get video and get to the setup screen. Yeah!!
I didn't let it boot to windows, didn't want to push my luck on the working PC.

Now to pull my old Soyo, install the new board and the 631 chip, flash the bios and install the E4300 and see if that works for this board as well.

For flashing the bios RTM. It's pretty clear in there how to do it, alot clearer than the PDF file. To make the boot disk with XP. Put a blank floppy in the drive, open windows explorer and right click on the floppy drive, normally A:. Select format and then click the box for create a startup disc. Extract your flash util and the .bin file and then copy to your floppy.

If your not comfortable doing this, then let someone who has done it before do it. If you mess up with the flash, it's supposed to be a pain to fix it. If you got the board at a shop like Fry's, at least the one I go to would be able to flash it for you. Just make sure they test it after with the chip you plan to keep.

Hope this helps and that the fix holds!
Tom

JET007

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Cool Dude!

I am glad that you are having some sucess. The Manager I spoke with was an Asian man, about 50 years old, I can't remember his name at the moment. He didn't say anything until after I told him my Whole Saga with this MBO since Day 1. He was Professional and to the point, He refunded my money (In store credit) and Informed his return department that the MBO I was returning was in fact good but not with my Bunde. I bought a pen and had them put the remaining credit back on my ATM.

Becareful with the BIOS Flash, It was that very proceedure that put me into the world of "Fry's" and the "P4m800Prom-V2". Just when you think you have it all figured out, Someone writes you right out of the Instruction set and once again you're just a Bit.

Late,
JET007

foxhound2001

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Well guys I finally flashed my bios and everything works like a charm at least for this mobo's capabilities. Thanks again for all the help.

gregor2012

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
As I stated previously I had Version 2 of the P4M800pro motherboard and was having random restarts constantly... so, I would exchange your board for another. I returned the P4M800pro and got an ECS RC410L/800-M and it works fantastic... I am very happy with this board, no random restarts. Again, don't take the chance with ANY version of the P4M800pro - return it; get a different board. ECS is a good brand, just not this particular board. The RC410L works great and was only $5 more.

blunc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I have the V1 version of that mobo, I built it about Nov of last year with an pentium-d805 and one stick of DDR2, never had any problems with it once I got the mobo drivers loaded and XP installed. Santa got me a pentium D945 for Xmas, I put it in about three weeks ago. Haven't had any problems with it yet (knock on wood). I've even got an ATI X800 AIW running in it

I know any mobo that Fry's virtually gives away with a processor is suspect so I consider myself lucky on this one so far. :eek:

BlackBit

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
I have the version 2 of this motherboard... and i'm having random restarts anyway... should i update the firmware or this won't work?

using memmory corsair DDR2-667 and pentium D 2.8 GHz

really need some help here :(

JET007

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Greetings,

Reloading the bios or firmware will not work with version 2 if you are running a D945 w/P4m800Prom-v2. I tried, The random restarts are definitely a "Hardware" Issue, and ECS is aware of the problem with that bundle. Try to Exchance your MBO (PmPro) with an Another PMPRO of the same Model. The Newer ones coming out have "Modification" to the lga775 Socket contact configuration that I found Quite Interesting, But I have been running for 5 weeks straight with out a "Reboot".

JET007

BlackBit

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Hi again Jet, thanks a lot for your fast replay.
the only think I can think is wrong here is my memory speed... since i have the version 2, it sems like this speek is not supported by this card... since i bought a expensive agp card of 512 MB ram... and there is no other card in the market tha supports DDR2 and AGP at the same time... i think i will step back in my computers evolution and get a giga of DDR memmory :( sad but true... and keep this crappy MoBo working...
but will keep looking the forum and the drivers and bios page on ecs to see what happen.

regards!

gregor2012

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
BlackBit - the only issue is a hardware issue... the only thing you can do to fix the "rebooting" problem with the P4M800Pro-M is to return it and get a different model and/or brand of board. Again, I have had technicians say that the P4M800Pro-M does not work with Intel Pentium D 900 and higher. Sorry, there is no getting around it.

TxTaco01

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
I bought the Fry's ECS P4M800PRO-M (V2.0) with the Pentium 805 combo as a cheapie replacement for an older fried mobo. I was hoping to overclock as well. I am running 1 GB (512x2) dual channel DDR400 RAM with no reboot problems. I tried changing the only front-side bus speed a couple of times resultiing only in having to reset the mobo to get it to boot. I am a noobie to overclocking and have not found anything else about getting this particualr mobo to OC. I was wondering if you or anyone else with that combo has had any success in OC'ing it?
:?
After reading the posts here, I am relunctant to buy DDR2 RAM; although I would be willing to get a 1 GB stick of DDR2 5300 if it would help in successfully OC'ing it.

blunc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I had the same bundle till I put a D-945 in it, never did get the mobo to boot with other than default settings.

I'm running a 1gig stick of kingston DDR2 with no appearent problems.

levontaun

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
The 2x DDR2 rebooting issue is resolved by setting your DIMM voltage to +150mv in the BIOS. You must flash your BIOS version to STD-8110.ROM for this to work.

"BIOS Setup" -> "Advanced Setup"... set "DIMM Voltage Adjust Function" to "+150mV"

-Levontaun