P4P800 Deluxe, No Post, No Fans

nbk

I reseated the P4 3.06 after receiving "System Failed CPU test" at boot.
Now my P4P800 Deluxe shows no signs of life. No fans or no POST.
The mobo is receiving power due to the green light on mobo. I know it
is something simple but i have yet to figure it out.

MY hardware: ASUS P4P800 Deluxe, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb, Onboard
sound and NIC, Enermax 550 Watt PSU, Samsung 352 Combo drive, Pioneer
DVD-RW A04, Maxtor 160Gb Hard Drive 8Mb Cache, Sony Floppy Drive and
2xCrucial DDR-3200 RAM.

Thanks
NBK

Nik

I had this problem with my new P4P800se, caused by my new wireless keyboard!
I had to press re-set everytime to kick it into action. Is your K/B
connected properly (it may not boot without it) or, like me, have you got it
connected via USB AND PS2 (I know, Im stupid!)

Just a thought?

Nik.

"NBK" <die@spammer.net> wrote in message
> I reseated the P4 3.06 after receiving "System Failed CPU test" at boot.
> Now my P4P800 Deluxe shows no signs of life. No fans or no POST.
> The mobo is receiving power due to the green light on mobo. I know it
> is something simple but i have yet to figure it out.
>
> MY hardware: ASUS P4P800 Deluxe, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb, Onboard
> sound and NIC, Enermax 550 Watt PSU, Samsung 352 Combo drive, Pioneer
> DVD-RW A04, Maxtor 160Gb Hard Drive 8Mb Cache, Sony Floppy Drive and
> 2xCrucial DDR-3200 RAM.
>
> Thanks
> NBK

Paul

Splendid

In article <iecsc.56471$V_.2499231@twister.southeast.rr.com>, NBK
<die@spammer.net> wrote:

> I reseated the P4 3.06 after receiving "System Failed CPU test" at boot.
> Now my P4P800 Deluxe shows no signs of life. No fans or no POST.
> The mobo is receiving power due to the green light on mobo. I know it
> is something simple but i have yet to figure it out.
>
> MY hardware: ASUS P4P800 Deluxe, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb, Onboard
> sound and NIC, Enermax 550 Watt PSU, Samsung 352 Combo drive, Pioneer
> DVD-RW A04, Maxtor 160Gb Hard Drive 8Mb Cache, Sony Floppy Drive and
> 2xCrucial DDR-3200 RAM.
>
> Thanks
> NBK

First, remove the video card (with power off and power cord unplugged
before doing the deed).

Try to power up the system. It could be that the Agp_Warn circuit is
stopping the motherboard from powering up, and without the video card,
the fans should start when you press the button.

Power off and unplug again. Plug the video card back in, connecting
its aux power cable to the PS (and no other loads on that cable -
leave the leftover 4 pin connector unused). Make sure the video
card is well seated. The gold fingers shouldn't be visible if the
card is pushed all the way into the AGP socket. Sometimes, you have
to loosen all PCI card screws and motherboard screws and move the
motherboard a bit, to ease the alignment between the inserted cards
and the motherboard. I like to do that with one PCI and one AGP
card installed, and adjust the position until the cards can be
removed or inserted without stress. When doing this, check the
metal screw heads on the standoffs, to make sure they aren't
touching any conductors or components next to the mounting holes,
as some cases use screws with large screw heads on them. Also make
sure you are using the standoffs that came with the case (they
aren't interchangeable between computer cases) and _no_ washers on
the standoffs.

See it it starts.

If none of that is working, try unplugging the CPU again. Verify
you didn't rotate it 90 degrees and crush some pins (easy to do).
Great damage could result from an accident like that. Like new
CPU and new motherboard.

You can use the Voice POST and listen for error messages. Make sure
the two jumpers are put back on the FP_AUDIO header, then connect
amplified speakers to the Lineout (lime colored) jack on the back
of the computer. I've just started building up a board, by
adding one component at a time, and I notice you have to wait a
significant time (a minute or two) for some of the error messages
to show up. Voice POST, for example, can even tell you the
processor is missing. Some error messages are delivered almost
immediately, while others take some time for the BIOS to get to
them.

HTH,
Paul

nbk

Paul wrote:
> [...]
>
> See it it starts.
>
> If none of that is working, try unplugging the CPU again. Verify
> you didn't rotate it 90 degrees and crush some pins (easy to do).
> Great damage could result from an accident like that. Like new
> CPU and new motherboard.
>
> You can use the Voice POST and listen for error messages. Make sure
> the two jumpers are put back on the FP_AUDIO header, then connect
> amplified speakers to the Lineout (lime colored) jack on the back
> of the computer. I've just started building up a board, by
> adding one component at a time, and I notice you have to wait a
> significant time (a minute or two) for some of the error messages
> to show up. Voice POST, for example, can even tell you the
> processor is missing. Some error messages are delivered almost
> immediately, while others take some time for the BIOS to get to

I have decided to RMA the mobo after trying a few things.
NBK