P4P800 Deluxe ... the 4 back USB ports are not functioning..

Paul

Splendid

In article <k99dr0pa5vnpj2jpbbabp1u3sl4nbaiehu@4ax.com>, Victor
<vcc@reptor.com> wrote:

> Any insights?

Plenty.

I just did a test. Guess what ? Two of my ports on the back
of my P4C800-E were "dead". I plugged a USB mouse into the ports,
and the light on the mouse did not come on.

How I fixed it:

Go into Device Manager and check for USB entries.

"Intel (R) 82801 USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2"
"Intel (R) 82801 USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4"
"Intel (R) 82801 USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7"
"Intel (R) 82801 USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE"
"Intel (R) 82801 USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD"
"USB Root Hub" (Repeated five times)

The first four devices, are USB1.1 . Each device is a software
construct that controls two USB ports. These ports will be in
the same connector stack. Thus, the first four line in the
quote above, control eight USB jacks. Some of the jacks are
on the back of the computer, while the other jacks require
installation of adapter plates which may not be included in
the motherboard box.

The fifth line is important. The word "Enhanced" implies
USB2. Enhanced as in EHCI driver. The Universal ones are
UHCI driver. The device on the fifth line is a software
construct that controls any USB port that wishes to run
at USB2 rates.

The five lines which might appear below that, say USB Root Hub.
These are a software construct for controlling the power to
each set of ports. Windows can turn them off to save power, and
if the USB ports on your computer are not being used, then not
all of the five "USB Root Hub" lines might be there.

In my case, the "broken" USB ports showed up as one of the
USB entries in the Device Manager having a red "X" through it.
Checking the status of that line in the Device Manager, said
the device was disabled and had a status of 22 (whatever that
means). I clicked the "enable" box, and the two "broken" ports
started to work. When I plug in a USB mouse now, the mouse LED
lights up on those two ports.

If, when you look in Device Manager, you don't see the 24DD
device, then you may need to install a Service Pack for the OS.
I think you would need at least SP1 for WinXP and SP4 for Win2K.
For Win98se, you would need an Orangeware driver, and these are
sometimes provided by the chipset maker (Intel in this case, but
you could also check the Asus download page for them). They
won't be listed as Orangeware, but Orangeware is the company
who writes USB2 drivers for Win98 for Intel/Via/etc.

If, after installing the Microsoft Service Pack, the Device
Manager still doesn't have the line above listed, follow this
procedure. Basically, you delete the entries in the Device
Manager, while in Safe Mode, and then on the next reboot,
Windows will discover the "new" ports, and use the drivers
included in the Service Pack you just installed.

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup%20Device%20Manager%20Safe%20Mode.htm

The picture at the bottom of this page, shows a computer using
an Intel Southbridge, plus the user of the computer must also
have installed a USB PCI plugin card as well. There are more
entries than normal in this picture, but it gives an example
of what they look like.

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm

After you are finished all of this, I hope when you plug in a
USB mouse, it lights up like mine did.

HTH,
Paul

Victor schrieb:
> Any insights?
bios settings?

Victor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 12:14:09 +0100, Niclaas Grehling
<niclaas.grehling@netcologne.de> wrote:

>Victor schrieb:
>> Any insights?
>bios settings?

Checked and re-checked.
I even tried to update 865 chipset ..and updated the BIO and then
checked it again.

Thanks

Victor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Paul
I checked the Device Manager and all USB entries look correct...with
no indication that anything is wrong ... all lines including the USB
Root Hub is accounted for.

I'm going to remove all entries and see if XP finds them again.
PS all BIOS info has been checked.
Thanks,