Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Intel i5-750
Gigabyte P55M-UD2, tried both F11 and F12
Coolermaster Hyper 212+ CPU heatsink
MSI GTS 250 1GB
OCZ 500W ModxStream PSU
4GB of G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ (2x2GB DIMMs) - rated DDR3 1600 1.5v 9-9-9-24

I assembled this machine last month for a friend and have been unable to get it stable yet, after weeks of troubleshooting. I'm at wits end here lol

The system seems to freeze solid (hard reboot required) randomly while idle and during low CPU/gpu load situations, (copying/downloading files, browsing the net, etc...) Left overnight it'll be frozen every time.

This happens both on a freshly installed win7 x64 OS (right after install) and on one with the latest windows updates, drivers, etc... Happened once in safe mode, and happened while running Mac OSX as well.

I'm baffled, it seems rather random TBH, sometimes it stays up a few hrs, sometimes it doesnt

I've tried a bunch of different BIOS settings that I've seen recommended, tried overclocking, tried manually setting stock, and the system has tested +2 hrs linpack or 3hrs prime95 largeFFT stable with a few different configs, yet each has either locked up soon after the load ended, or frozen when running Sandra CPU benchmarks right after hrs of prime95 load, frozen shortly after boot while at idle, etc.... (temps are great)

I've swapped in a 2nd good PSU, a nvidia 9600GSO, swapped in a 4GB kit of F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM (rated @ 1600mhz 7-8-7-24 @ 1.6v), replaced the heatsink, RMA'ed the motherboard and CPU, and I've currently got the machine sitting caseless with a single stick of RAM running open on a bench yet its still freezing

Any suggestions?
Do I need different timings/voltages for 2x2GB G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ @ 1333mhz?

prior attempts detailed here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/39898-p55m-ud2-i5-750-f3-12800cl9d-4gbnq-unstable-stock-clocks.html

Current settings:
CPU Clock Ratio 20x

Advanced Core Features [Press Enter]:

Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech................[Enabled]
CPU Cores Enabled........................[All]
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)..................[Enabled]
C3/C6/C7 State Support...................[Enabled]
CPU Thermal Monitor......................[Enabled]
CPU EIST Function........................[Enabled]
Bi-Directional PROCHOT...................[Auto]

QPI Clock Ratio..........................[Auto]
QPI Link Speed........................[4.8Ghz]
Uncore Clock Ratio....................[16x]
Uncore Frequency.........................2133MHz

>>>>> Standard Clock Control <<<<<

Base Clock (BCLK) Control................[Disabled]
BCLK Frequency ..........................[133]
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.)..........[Disabled]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD)...........[Auto]
Memory Frequency (MHz)................1333
PCI Express Frequency (MHz)..............[Auto]
C.I.A.2..................................[Disabled]

>>>>> Advanced Clock Control <<<<<

CPU Clock Drive..........................[ 800mV]
PCI Express Clock Drive..................[ 900mV]
CPU Clock Skew...........................[ 0ps]

Advanced Memory Settings:

Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.)..........[Disabled]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD)...........[Auto]
Memory Frequency (MHz)................1333
Performance Enhance (SPD)............. [Turbo]
DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD)............ [Expert]
Profile DDR Voltage ..................1.5
Profile QPI Voltage ..................1.1
Channel Interleaving.....................[Auto]
Rank Interleaving........................[Auto]

>>>>> Channel A & B

Channel A Timing Settings [Press Enter]:
Cas Latency Time........................[8]
tRCD....................................[8]
tRP.....................................[8]
tRAS...................................[24]

>>>>> Advanced Timing Control

tRC....................................[Auto]
tRRD...................................[Auto]
tWTR...................................[Auto]
tWR....................................[Auto]
tWTP...................................[Auto]
tWL....................................[Auto]
tRFC...................................[Auto]
tRTP...................................[Auto]
tFAW...................................[Auto]
Command Rate (CMD).................. 1 [1]

>>>>> Misc Timing Control

B2B Cas Delay..........................[Auto]
Round Trip Latency.....................[Auto]

Advanced Voltage Settings:

******Mother Board Voltage Control ******
Voltage Types............Normal......Current
--------------------------------------------

>>> CPU
Load Line Calibration...................[Enabled]
CPU Vcore..................1.20750v..[Auto]
QPI/VTT Voltage..........1.100v.....[Auto]

>>> MCH/ICH
PCH Core....................1.050v.....[Auto]
CPU PLL......................1.800v.....[Auto]

>>> DRAM
DRAM Voltage..............1.500v.....[Auto]
DRAM Termination.........0.750v.....[Auto]
Ch-A Data VRef............0.750v.....[Auto]
Ch-A Data VRef............0.750v.....[Auto]
Ch-B Data VRef............0.750v.....[Auto]
Ch-B Data VRef............0.750v.....[Auto]

Miscellaneous Settings:

Isochronous Support....................[Enabled]
Virtualisation technology..............[Enabled]

banthracis

Distinguished
Timing aren't set properly. You've got it set to 8-8-8-24, RAM is only rated for 9-9-9-24.

Go into bios and set proper RAM settings. Then run memtest for at least 8passes.

1.5v is fine, but you can try to up it to 1.6v to be safe. If it does work at 1.6v but not at 1.5v, go RMA the RAM.

fury420

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
I'm running the ram at 1333mhz, not 1600mhz as I've got the i5-750 which requires increasing the baseclock to reach 1600mhz and at this point I'm just trying for stable without OC'ing in an attempt to reduce the # of possible variables

do I still need the timings set to 9-9-9-24 @ 1333mhz? I'm unsure how running below rated speeds affects timings/voltages

I've already tried a 2nd set of known good RAM (4GB kit of F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM (rated @ 1600mhz 7-8-7-24 @ 1.6v) and the freezing continued, and I I've currently got the system running open on a bench, with nothing but mobo/gpu/CPU/SSD and a single stick of RAM, on an entirely fresh win7 x64 install and its still freezing

I flashed the BIOS to F11 last night, its still freezing (its not a BSOD, its a hard freeze)

Yeah, a quick google search finds dozens and dozens of people with seemingly similar issues, but I've tried the solutions they've offered without effect, and I've already ruled out component defect (CPU & Mobo RMA'ed, and swapped in GPU, PSU and RAM out of my year old P55-UD3R/i5-750 build)

fury420

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
still freezing

Vcore : normal (1.206v~)
DVID: +0.075v (tried less)
QPI/VTT: 1.210v (tried 1.1v, 1.15v, 1.19v)

C1E: Off
C3/C6: On
Turbo: On
EIST: On
LLC : Disable

bclk: 160mhz
PCH Normal
CPU PLL Normal
DRAM: 1.6v
1600mhz 9-9-9-24
performance enhance : Turbo

It seems to freeze when ANY of the board's power management features are enabled:
LLC off + Turbo/C3/C6 = freezes
No Turbo/C3/C6 + LLC = freezes
Turbo/C3/C6 Off + LLC off = No Freezes
EIST on/off does not appear to have an effect (has frozen both with & without)

I'm baffled at this point, wondering how the hell both the original & RMA replacement Mobo AND CPUs ive tried cannot handle standard intel spec'd turbo boost using RAM on the QVL list?
Did I pick a lemon of a motherboard model or something? Turbo boost @ stock clockspeeds doesn't seem like too much to expect from brand new & qualified parts....

necrosero

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010

I've also had this problem on my Gygabite UD2, i5 750. Absolutely random hard freezes, happened anywhere and everywhere, while browsing, playing or just doing nothing. After 1 week of playing with BIOS options, memory and voltages, and installing and reinstalling Win 7 and drivers, I have found the SOLUTION: DISABLE LLC! With it disabled, I haven't experienced a freeze in 2 weeks now, and I also have Turbo mode enabled. I just wanted to post here, in case someone else has this problem and needs a fix.
Greetings from Romania.
Alan

trainwreck14

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Not sure if it is related but I've got a P55m-UD4 and had issues with freezing, mainly after returning from sleep. I bought my system with outdated RAM, OCZ Intel Extreme 1.65v, on a system using i5 750. I always figured that was the problem.

I had issues up until I installed Windows 7 Professional 64-bit to replace Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Previously, I had flashed the bios but now after installing Professional I haven't touched it and my system is as stable as ever.

Edit- By the way, can anyone educate me on the RAM I have? Should I replace it with 1.5v RAM made for i5 CPUs?

My BIOS told me the voltage was too high so I have had it underclocked to 1.5v.