[SOLVED] P7P55D / i7-860 system upgrade

perek

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Hello, I want to do some worthwhile upgrades to my PC I built a few years ago. I already installed an SSD but would like to add RAM and upgrade the graphics card. I currently have 4GB DDR3 1066 installed. I want to go to 16GB, can I install 2x8GB or do I have to use all four slots (4x4GB)? Also, what is the best graphics card I should get for around $100USD? I understand that PCIe 3.0 is backwards compatible with PCIe 2.0 (16x) but I'm afraid if I get a too fast graphics card the CPU (i7-860) will bottleneck it. Currently, I have a Radeon HD 4830 512MB GDDR3 card installed. Motherboard is the Asus P7P55D, if that helps. Another upgrade I'm thinking about is a USB 3.0 expansion card. Thanks for any advice.

Solution
You can install 2x8GB, and I'd go for at least DDR3 1600. If you only have $100 for the GPU, I'd buy a used one. What power supply do you have? If your power supply is as old as the CPU, then it's highly recommended you get a new one. Power supplies are very important for system longevity.

Good GPUs for around $100 would be a used RX 570 or 580.

A GTX 1650 Super would be a nice upgrade if you were buying new and could afford it. But those used GPUs would be close to the same performance with higher power consumption.
You can install 2x8GB, and I'd go for at least DDR3 1600. If you only have $100 for the GPU, I'd buy a used one. What power supply do you have? If your power supply is as old as the CPU, then it's highly recommended you get a new one. Power supplies are very important for system longevity.

Good GPUs for around $100 would be a used RX 570 or 580.

A GTX 1650 Super would be a nice upgrade if you were buying new and could afford it. But those used GPUs would be close to the same performance with higher power consumption.

Reactions: perek
Solution

perek

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Thanks for the advice. I'm having trouble finding an RX 570 for $100USD (I'm in Canada, the cheapest ones are about $180CDN). Also, the power supply is old but the PC has barely been on for the past 5 years.

Yeah, 130CAD doesn't go as far as 100USD. I'm afraid Vic is right. Your budget is simply too low for a new GPU worth buying in Canada for gaming. You can get pretty close on Kijiji (GTX1060 3GB for 130CAD), but I'm not sure what city you're in, so you'll have to look.

Last edited: