Aug 12, 2020
So , i have a system with a 2500 k and a p8p67 motherboard. i noticed that the cpu was overheating so i swapped it with a 2400 . I put the 2500 k in a oem unit and the overheating stopped while the 2400 on the p8p67 (a perfectly untouched working cpu), idled in the mid 60 degrees .So all of this led me to believe that the motherboard has a problem, i resetted the cmos , and that didn t help. Any suggestions?

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
i have the intel stock cooler , but i didn t overclock it so in theory it should work, but does the debris impact this issue in any manner?

Well yes, debris and dust reduce the heatsink's ability to move heat away from the CPU, which is its only job really. If there are any blockages to air being moved the heat will be retained.

I would possibly look towards the cooler rather then the motherboard as a cause of heat issues first, personally.

Aug 12, 2020
Well yes, debris and dust reduce the heatsink's ability to move heat away from the CPU, which is its only job really. If there are any blockages to air being moved the heat will be retained.

I would possibly look towards the cooler rather then the motherboard as a cause of heat issues first, personally.

i checked , the cooler is fine , do you have any ideas on the motherboard front?

Aug 12, 2020

so besides debris and any problems related to the cpu , what , regarding the mb , might cause the overheating?

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Personally never seen a motherboard to cause a CPU to over heat. Not saying it can't just never saw it.
Usually a cooler problem, fan not turning properly or heatsink clogged with dust or debris.

If you ramp up the CPU fan curve does the fan react accordingly?

Aug 12, 2020
Personally never seen a motherboard to cause a CPU to over heat. Not saying it can't just never saw it.
Usually a cooler problem, fan not turning properly or heatsink clogged with dust or debris.

If you ramp up the CPU fan curve does the fan react accordingly?

i will try to change the cpu cooler , but even so , i don t think is normal for a cpu to idle at 95 C , i literally tried 3 processors on the same mb 2100, 2400 and a 2500 k , and they all reacted the same

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
i will try to change the cpu cooler , but even so , i don t think is normal for a cpu to idle at 95 C , i literally tried 3 processors on the same mb 2100, 2400 and a 2500 k , and they all reacted the same

I get what you are saying but did you use the same cooler with all 3? In troubleshooting you need to rule things out individually.

Good luck

Aug 12, 2020
I get what you are saying but did you use the same cooler with all 3? In troubleshooting you need to rule things out individually.

Good luck

i used another lga 1155 board and the temps were fine on the same cpu s and this leads me to believe that the p8p67 mb is faulty , but i can exactly put my finger on it

TRENDING THREADS