P8Z68-V PRO with Mushkin 996782

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noxtreme

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Hey guys,
I'm building a new rig for a client of mine and I'm trying to verify if Mushkin 996782 will work at rated speed on the P8Z68-V PRO.
Its not on the QVL.
996805 is on the QVL but apparently Mushkin is no longer making those and suggested to use these instead without knowing what mobo I'm using.
If anyone is running this setup or knows of someone else running it please tell me.
OR
If your running this mobo what ram are you using. (looking for good cas/speed/price balance)

Its an everyday computer that's not for gaming or anything special.

Solution
Most of the newer boards will work with about any RAM you throw at them (within spec, of course). Honestly, I consult the QVL as a start point and go from there. When I haven't been able to find something exactly from the QVL, I've always gone with something with similar specs and never had a problem with it not working unless there was a bad module in a kit.

Mushkin, OCZ, G-Skill, and Kingston will generally give you a good value. RAM is darned near a commodity anymore with most companies pumping out good-quality modules.

Mushkin probably recommended this other RAM module model because, even though the latency is different, they've probably already tested this RAM on that board.

If you're looking at different RAM as an...
Most of the newer boards will work with about any RAM you throw at them (within spec, of course). Honestly, I consult the QVL as a start point and go from there. When I haven't been able to find something exactly from the QVL, I've always gone with something with similar specs and never had a problem with it not working unless there was a bad module in a kit.

Mushkin, OCZ, G-Skill, and Kingston will generally give you a good value. RAM is darned near a commodity anymore with most companies pumping out good-quality modules.

Mushkin probably recommended this other RAM module model because, even though the latency is different, they've probably already tested this RAM on that board.

If you're looking at different RAM as an alternative, just consult with the QVL.

Additionally, when I buy RAM, I like to buy it locally, especially if you have a microcenter nearby. You can usually find something close to mail order prices there.
I've had bad modules in the past through mail order and that usually adds a week or more to your build time. Also, if you buy locally, you can just walk in and exchange it if it doesn't work. Not everyone has this luxury, but if you do, take advantage of it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.