Packet loss, issues!

Jun 9, 2018
Soo. i've had this issue with randomly disconnecting while playing games, I know its a network issue, only in blizzard games.

Blizzard has admitted that they have some issues, and my ISP have said the same.. So they are trying to fix it.. They have told me that they are in contact with one of the gateways where it showed quite a few problems..

Anyway that is not my problem for now, they are looking at it:

Last week i tryed pinging to servers again, and a found out that there was a new place where the packet loss shows up. Between my router and my pc...

So ive made sure all drivers is updated, and updated the router. Before going out to buying a new Ethernet cable, i decided to try and use tether from my phone... Here it also shows high packet loss between my pc and the phone (50-99% packet loss).

This is only during pingtest Via WinMTR, i did not notice any packet loss between my router and pc, with pingplotter, or simply pinging via cmd, nor did i notice any between my phone and my pc with the cmd test.

Anyone got any clues why this is happening or anything els i can try?

i've tryed all the steps in: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/99037

stdragon

Admirable
It's *packet* loss, not package.

Anyways, packet loss is normal over a cellular based connection. But that's ok, because the IP stack was designed to be resilient against it.

But, you should NOT be getting any packet loss between your PC and the router. If so, then the problem is with the PC, network card, patch cable, wall drop, or the router itself.

Packet loss on a wired ethernet is abnormal. Packet loss on a quality WiFi can be normal depending on interference. Packet loss over a cellular modem is probably expected if data is going at a higher rate than the modem can handle...and that'll be a pretty low rate. Don't expect PC to phone to be representative of anything. Wired to cable modem or wired router packet loss would be reason to look for problems there.

Never expect WiFi of any sort to be 100% reliable.

Jun 9, 2018

Well now i know^^ Thanks for letting me know that i did write packet loss wrong

Jun 9, 2018

I dont really use wifi other than when i tested if it was the cable. I guess i will have to go buy a new cable see if that changes anything

If you have wired in your house (and I always wire my own house), and get packet loss between your PC and the cable modem (or whatever you use, e.g., DSL), then the odds are that the failure is one of the following:

• ■ Connectors.
    ■ A sharp kink or bend in the cable.
    ■ Moisture entering the cable, usually where the connection goes to the outside of a home or near a source of humidity at a connector.
    ■ Sometimes just very old dielectric, e.g., perhaps the cable has been in the wall for thirty years.

In a case where you have the right crimp tool and connectors a first step might be to cut off connectors of cables which would be difficult to actually replace, and add new connectors. If this isn't the cause, then you haven't wasted much if you already have a crimp tool. You can also look at the copper where the connector is cut off and see if corrosion is present (a sign of humidity or age). FYI, bulk cable without connectors is far cheaper than buying individual cables with connectors already on it, but you might need to practice with a few connectors before you get the hang of how to strip the ends (or how to not strip the ends).

If you do replace the cables yourself, then get quad shield if you can. It costs more, but any additional quality to shielding is worthwhile...the longer the run, the more valuable this becomes.

If you were running under Linux you'd have a lot of free tools to find out about what your network is doing...not sure on Windows. Changing cables is a good place to start.

stdragon

Admirable

Cat6 Plenum Shielded should suffice. And yes, you'll want plenum for fire code compliance. But I agree, cable is cheap, the labor isn't. Also, if you're only going to wire the building once, do it right with quality materials.

FYI, that cable is thick with a solid plastic core going through it. You're not going to get a very tight bend radius out of it, so plan ahead.

To test your LAN try iperf3. "better" cables might not do anything. cat5e UTP does 1Gbs fine. shielding and foil are a waste. I do recommend full copper. patch cables don't need to be CMR or CMP. If you're going to run wires in your walls you do need to know about those.

With no way to monitor your traffic on the router you can't accurately pin down the issue.
One substitute is wiring directly to the modem and using your resource monitor.

If another client at home is doing it then it's going to be difficult to pin down without monitoring the traffic. You're going to lag if anyone is swamping your link. a broken or malicious program can swamp your lan.

Some equipment will allow you to sniff packets. You can try on the console port and then putting your NIC into promiscuous mode while using wireshark to capture.