[SOLVED] Packet loss on hop 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9 and sometimes 10

Solution
Again you have to learn what these numbers mean. If you actually had 100% loss to your router nothing will work since if all traffic is discarded nothing can get to the internet. There maybe a option is your router that tells it to not respond to ping.

When you have a actual problem the issue say high latency will start in hop x and then continue and likely get worse as it goes to the end node.

The problem with tracert is that it does not send enough traffic. That is why things like pathping were built. What I generally do is open a bunch of cmd windows and leave ping run to number of hops. Mostly hop 1 hop 2 and the last hop and maybe a couple more. When you see the problem in the game you quickly tab out and check the...
This is why people need to do ping and tracert by hand rather than depend on apps they click one button.

Your ping plot shows no issues. Everything you see is a result of the testing method and not actually any problems.

Lets say the hops were intersections on way to work and packet less was big rocks hitting your car and putting dents into it. If 80% of the time you drive though a intersection you get a new dent it means you still would have those dents when you get to your destination.

You can not have issuers in the path and it not actually cause issues on the final destination.

The reason you see loss to intermediate routers is equipment is generally configured to favor actually passing data than responding to test ping packets. This is also partially done to prevent denial of service attacks against a router.

In addition this is a IPv6 trace. Your game maybe using IPv4. No matter how much they say IPv6 is the future...its been 25 years they say that...many ISP still do not have as good pathing for IPv6 as IPv4.

So first I would turn off IPv6 in your machine nic settings. There is almost nothing that only runs on IPv6.

Next you need to do tests to the actual game servers since the path to them is different.

The bad news is lets say you see a issue with HOP 6 that continues to the end IP address. What can you possibly do about it if that router is owned by say google or maybe level3. It not like you can call them up and complain.

Your really can only realistically fix hop1 (your equipment in your house) and hop2 (the connection to your ISP from your house). Other stuff you would have to get lucky take to a ISP. ISP monitor their network and generally see issues and fix them if they can. Not much you can do when a undersea fiber gets cut and you are on a backup network.

Dylan_

Honorable
Sep 19, 2015
This is why people need to do ping and tracert by hand rather than depend on apps they click one button.

Your ping plot shows no issues. Everything you see is a result of the testing method and not actually any problems.

Lets say the hops were intersections on way to work and packet less was big rocks hitting your car and putting dents into it. If 80% of the time you drive though a intersection you get a new dent it means you still would have those dents when you get to your destination.

You can not have issuers in the path and it not actually cause issues on the final destination.

The reason you see loss to intermediate routers is equipment is generally configured to favor actually passing data than responding to test ping packets. This is also partially done to prevent denial of service attacks against a router.

In addition this is a IPv6 trace. Your game maybe using IPv4. No matter how much they say IPv6 is the future...its been 25 years they say that...many ISP still do not have as good pathing for IPv6 as IPv4.

So first I would turn off IPv6 in your machine nic settings. There is almost nothing that only runs on IPv6.

Next you need to do tests to the actual game servers since the path to them is different.

The bad news is lets say you see a issue with HOP 6 that continues to the end IP address. What can you possibly do about it if that router is owned by say google or maybe level3. It not like you can call them up and complain.

Your really can only realistically fix hop1 (your equipment in your house) and hop2 (the connection to your ISP from your house). Other stuff you would have to get lucky take to a ISP. ISP monitor their network and generally see issues and fix them if they can. Not much you can do when a undersea fiber gets cut and you are on a backup network.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I will try turning off ipv6 and test some other things and get back ASAP with results.

Dylan_

Honorable
Sep 19, 2015

The odd thing is, when I plug in my router I start only getting packet loss on the first hop (my router IP). But when I use my modem only, I get packet loss like the screenshot shown.

Dylan_

Honorable
Sep 19, 2015
I will also say yesterday it was REALLY REALLY bad, I'd restart my modem and a few minutes later I was getting crazy spikes into 250-300ms and it was staying there until I reset my modem. Today it actually seems fine, I'm not really lagging at all and I don't see crazy spikes like yesterday. The internet seems back to normal now and is consistent but I still see some minor packet loss through multiple different tests which is worrisome I guess.

Again you have to learn what these numbers mean. If you actually had 100% loss to your router nothing will work since if all traffic is discarded nothing can get to the internet. There maybe a option is your router that tells it to not respond to ping.

When you have a actual problem the issue say high latency will start in hop x and then continue and likely get worse as it goes to the end node.

The problem with tracert is that it does not send enough traffic. That is why things like pathping were built. What I generally do is open a bunch of cmd windows and leave ping run to number of hops. Mostly hop 1 hop 2 and the last hop and maybe a couple more. When you see the problem in the game you quickly tab out and check the windows.

Solution

Latest posts