Question Packet loss

aurimasandrisiunas

Honorable
Mar 3, 2018
Hello, i have packet loss almost for 7 years i dont even know what am i supposed to do.. anyone help please, switched isp 3 times no luck, as i believe they all operated by openreach . Got my new isp a week ago , i was so happy ! Games experiance was on the different level first 2 days 0 packet loss ! But that was over , and now exact same issue im wondering how those 2 days was different? Why is it that i have packet loss again? Is it bandwith limit? Been using ping plotter cmd everything, packet loss starts from hop 4 and goes to the last hop every single time, i was thinking what should i do? Will a gaming router do any difference, would a VPN do any difference? Ive literally so fed up with it, got loads of engineers past years, was trying to explain it to my isp, send them screen shots nothing ever helped... could anyone advise me of what should i do?

Call up the owner of the hop 4 router and tell them to fix their stuff :)

It is strange that this did not change when you changed ISP. I guess it depends on how much is shared , there are some fiber systems that the fiber to the house is owned by one company and they allow multiple different ISP to use it. If the fiber itself has a issue then all the ISP would be affected the same.

A gaming router is a product for stupid people that buy anything they put the word "gaming" on. At best they make configuring QOS easier but you don't need QoS of any kind if you are not exceeding your bandwidth. It can not affect anything outside your house.

A VPN might help but it is going to be lots of trial and error. In your case you would need to find a vpn provider you could reach without passing through the hop4 router that you see causing issues.

Now if hop4 is actually owned by your ISP maybe you could find a more senior tech. The lower level guys you talk to when you call generally only work with the equipment in peoples house and the physical connections to the house. Even if they had more knowledge they generally will not have access to the core router in their network....and of course they have no access if it is in another company/isp

aurimasandrisiunas

Honorable
Mar 3, 2018
Call up the owner of the hop 4 router and tell them to fix their stuff :)

It is strange that this did not change when you changed ISP. I guess it depends on how much is shared , there are some fiber systems that the fiber to the house is owned by one company and they allow multiple different ISP to use it. If the fiber itself has a issue then all the ISP would be affected the same.

A gaming router is a product for stupid people that buy anything they put the word "gaming" on. At best they make configuring QOS easier but you don't need QoS of any kind if you are not exceeding your bandwidth. It can not affect anything outside your house.

A VPN might help but it is going to be lots of trial and error. In your case you would need to find a vpn provider you could reach without passing through the hop4 router that you see causing issues.

Now if hop4 is actually owned by your ISP maybe you could find a more senior tech. The lower level guys you talk to when you call generally only work with the equipment in peoples house and the physical connections to the house. Even if they had more knowledge they generally will not have access to the core router in their network....and of course they have no access if it is in another company/isp
How can i even know who owns hop 4? So i can call them and explain my situation. This is a nightmare for me , unbelievable tbh. I know that openreach owns all the cables , for all the isp i can get, theres is virgin media who use their own cable management but they are not available in my area sadly, other thing i was thinking i might try is getting a 5G broadband that might be better no?

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
5G broadband still will have to come down to the ground somewhere, probably will not be far away from your location.

Reference

How can i even know who owns hop 4? So i can call them and explain my situation.
I thought I was kinda obvious when I put a smiley face on it. It might be possible to tell who owns the router by ip registration but what then. They are likely huge companies like NTT Or level 3 or many others. Even if you found the contact number you are not their actual customer you do not pay them any money so why would they care about some random guy.

I had a similar issue but because another network professional that used to work for the same company now worked for the ISP so I had a inside contact. He did not work in the same department but he could talk to the correct guys and more important he could confirm that I was actually a senior network engineer that knew what he was talking about. They had a bad card in a router and their monitoring software was misconfigured and did not detect it.

There basically is no way for you can do anything about it....other than a maybe a vpn.

Now the issue might be that the ISP actually know this problem exists but they are unwilling to spend the money to say buy more fiber connections.

aurimasandrisiunas

Honorable
Mar 3, 2018
I thought I was kinda obvious when I put a smiley face on it. It might be possible to tell who owns the router by ip registration but what then. They are likely huge companies like NTT Or level 3 or many others. Even if you found the contact number you are not their actual customer you do not pay them any money so why would they care about some random guy.

I had a similar issue but because another network professional that used to work for the same company now worked for the ISP so I had a inside contact. He did not work in the same department but he could talk to the correct guys and more important he could confirm that I was actually a senior network engineer that knew what he was talking about. They had a bad card in a router and their monitoring software was misconfigured and did not detect it.

There basically is no way for you can do anything about it....other than a maybe a vpn.

Now the issue might be that the ISP actually know this problem exists but they are unwilling to spend the money to say buy more fiber connections.
Any advice with VPN? Which one should i get? All i want is to play a game sometimes when i have time and enjoy it..

There is no way to say because the thing that is most important to you is that you can get to one of the VPN company servers without going through the hop 4 router. Other than maybe your neighbor everyone's path is going to be different so recommendation mean little.

Maybe start with some very common ip like 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1. This is google and cloudflare dns. If you have issues with type of ip going though the bad router it likely mean the router is in your ISP network and connection to all other ISP pass through it.

If you can get a list of data centers a vpn company has and run a trace to some of the IP and see if the path is different. This is tedious since most web sites for vpn are designed for people who just want to click a install button and it be magic. Most larger ones you can get the IP of the data centers some place on their page.

Then after you find one that follows a good path then you could sign up for a trial and see if it really works ok. Does little good if the data center you find that works in say in another country but the latency is then too high to play the game.

As a last option on vpn you can use the private vpn option. These you run your own vpn server in a large hosting centers like amazon or cloudflare. It generally is about the same price as other vpn but is more complex to get going because you need to know how to set option on the server side. Key here is does the path to these data centers go through the bad hop4 router.
If it does then it is likely it is not just traffic going to game companies that is affected since a huge number of websites are hosted in places like cloudflare.