Page File with 32GB Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

INeedSomeAdvice

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
I'm sure this has been talked about scores of times, but I would like to ask quickly for myself.

I have 32gb of ram, paired with a 128gb ocz ssd. I've heard about disabling page file or reducing the amount. Currently I've reduced it to 512 - 2048 and regained a lot of space on my ssd, which I'm very happy about. Any suggestions or fine how I have it?

Also, should i disable write caching?

Solution

That's a good idea but some programs require pagefile to be on C:\. I've run across a few games that expect a pagefile on C:\ (MW3, BF3) and cause BSOD if it's not - ie; "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON-PAGED_AREA". Even went so far to create pagefile on a different drive to no avail. Only solution was to create a small 2GB pagefile.

INeedSomeAdvice

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

For now I'm not doing anything too RAM intensive. Heavy gaming, school work, and a multi-monitor setup. The ram is just overkill, kind of an obsession. Any thoughts on what I should do wih that much ram? lol.

Some programs require a page file, others don't. With that much ram, i'd disable the page file. Only enable it if a program gives you problems... and as others said, disable hibernate. That should clear up a 32gig hiberfil.sys file since a hibernation file is the size of the amount of ram you have installed.

Understand that whether or not a Page File exists is irrelevant as far as the Virtual Memory subsystem is concerned. All memory addressing done by the OS is done in terms of Virtual Memory. The only difference is behavior is that when no Page File exists, physical RAM addresses must be mapped EXACTLY at a 1:1 rate with the corresponding Virtual Memory Address.

This causes slightly MORE RAM to be used overall. Here's why: When using a page file, if some data is created [say, some blank structure that hasn't been filled with data yet], it is given a Virtual Memory Address, but isn't mapped into Physical RAM until it is needed. But without a pagefile, this structure must be mapped into RAM upon creation. As a result, you use more RAM without a pagefile because data must be stored in RAM, even if not needed yet.

This can cause another problem: If I have a 64MB data structure, I need 64MB of CONTIGUOUS space in RAM to store it. I could have 10x that amount of total space free in RAM, but if no contiguous 64MB space exists, BOOM, out of memory error.

Besides, theres almost no negative impact of using a page file, given how the CPU has specilized HW to read/write to it [TLB, etc]. I recommend always leaving it on.

greenrider02

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
As mentioned, there can be issues with getting rid of your PageFile entirely, but since you have so much RAM, perhaps consider making a small 1GB RAMDisk and putting the page file on there?

I have 16GB, and I make my RAMDisk 4GB so it holds the PageFile, Windows temp, Firefox temp, and other temp files in the speediest possible storage I can use.

RussK1

Splendid

That's a good idea but some programs require pagefile to be on C:\. I've run across a few games that expect a pagefile on C:\ (MW3, BF3) and cause BSOD if it's not - ie; "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON-PAGED_AREA". Even went so far to create pagefile on a different drive to no avail. Only solution was to create a small 2GB pagefile.

Solution

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
I have 3GB of RAM (upgraded from 1GB), and i haven't changed from 5GB with the paging file. IMO it's just there on the OS disk and 5 GB out of 20+GB of disk space it doesn't really matter about whether i have 5GB taken up. In the settings it says the minimum is 4413MB. Not sure if that's the same for every system setup but i don't see why it couldn't hurt. I remember having system instabilities with Windows 98 for having an insufficient amount of RAM. I don't remember what the settings were on it but now i just prefer to have a good extra for whatever reason.

mikrev007

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008

The page file cannot fix problems you might have with non-contiguous memory. The memory manager cannot begin to change where data is stored at (virtual addresses). That would break things.

Status
Not open for further replies.