Palomino speculation or fact?

leonov

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The Register (www.theregister.co.uk) has some Palomino stories which bascially say that

1) It will have SSE support
2) It will use a pure form of silicon which will DRASTICALLY improve its thermal conductivity. The people who supply the material said that a 1GHz CPU was 35 degrees C cooler than a standard 1GHz chip.

Just imagine a ~20% reduction in power requirements, much lower operating temperatures and faster CPUs. Let's just hope these rumors are true.

L

G

SSE support? may be. I don't think it's that difficult to implement that (could they be made to be processed by the same unit of the CPU that processes the 3DNow! too?)

Pure silicon..uhm even if they are testing this, I would say it's just a test and won't go mass production on as early as Palominos...=/

G

SSE is a rumour right now and cannot really be considered. It would definitely make the palomino much more marketable.
The intel paparazi that frequent this board would have a lot less ammo.

The pure silicon rumour, if true, would probably only be used for high MHZ palominos and most definitely for portable versions of this processor.

"in the end it's all about holding your breath"

leonov

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree about SSE it would have been pretty easy to add.

As far as the pure silicon stuff goes, the company which makes it says that a large CPU manufacturer has been testing for about a year now. The Palomino would have taped out and started test runs at about that time. It may not be a test.

L

G

i think AMD will not incorporate SSE into the Palomino. Considering the development cycles, it is unlikely AMD would have had the lead time to make the appropriate changes.

G

I'd be inclined to agree, especially since Clawhammer will be using SSE2 along with Sledgehammer. To be honest I don't know if Palomino is going to make too huge a difference to the Athlon performance. However, I think it'll be very interesting to see how well the Palomino's clock rate scales compared with the P4 (considering the P4 has almost double the pipeline deapth of the Athlon). The AMD boys and girls have done impressive things with their datapath.

We live in interesting times folks!

Fat Chucky

G

Taken from AMD's web site:
“Palomino”

Enhanced version of AMD Athlon processor based on “Mustang” core with reduced core, lower power requirements, and support for mobile features. Will be manufactured on a 0.18 micron process technology. Planned to address the requirements of the single processor workstation, high-performance desktop, and performance mobile markets.

“Morgan”

Future version of AMD Duron processor core with reduced core voltage, lower power requirements, and support for mobile features. Will be manufactured on a 0.18 micron process technology. Planned to address the requirements of the value market.

Question:
Does the AMD Athlon™ processor use a 0.18 micron manufacturing process?
Answer:
Yes. All AMD Athlon processor wafer starts are now on 0.18 micron process technology. The die size of the AMD Athlon processor is 120mm2.

I errored when I thought the Palomino would run cooler because it used the .18 micron process. I wonder why it'll run cooler than the Athlon Thunderbird?