Panasonic Lumix CM1 Smart Camera, Hands On

Status
Not open for further replies.

everlast66

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
149
0
18,680
0
I am pretty sure this was announced some time ago, probably Photokina in 2014.

It a huge engineering achievement for them to fit this large sensor there. I have it in a Sony RX100 camera and it is class leading. However, we'll have to see how many compromises they had to make with the optics to make them so small.

The rumours are that it will sell for $1000 in the US, off contract
 

everlast66

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
149
0
18,680
0
@dstarr3
"If you want a camera, it's a mediocre camera. If you want a phone, it's a mediocre phone."

I don't agree. If they haven't made too many compromises with the optics, which I believe they haven't because Leica agreed to put their brand on it, it should be much better than 99% of point & shoot cameras out there. The remaining 1% account for Sony RX100 versions which are a step up in quality (uses the same sensor), but only because it is a dedicated camera and Zeiss build a larger and exceptionally good lens for it.
The RX100 image quality is considered by many to be on par with entry level DSLR cameras.
 

gggplaya

Distinguished
@dstarr3
"If you want a camera, it's a mediocre camera. If you want a phone, it's a mediocre phone."

Not so, 1" sensor is quite large, should have much better light sensitivity to any point and shoot camera. It would fall just under a micro four thirds camera in picture quality, the limiting factor being the lens. but I doubt you could beat the picture quality with anything else that fits in your pocket. Meaning you never have to miss a shot, but still get real dynamic color range and great lighting better than most point and shoots.
 

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
3,029
17
20,795
1
nothing on optical zoom and the flash looks pretty wimpy... that quickly went from very interesting/disruptive to this is neat but expensive. add a decent 4x optical zoom and an included flash and man, this think would be killer.
 

everlast66

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
149
0
18,680
0
@eklipz330
"nothing on optical zoom and the flash looks pretty wimpy... that quickly went from very interesting/disruptive to this is neat but expensive. add a decent 4x optical zoom and an included flash and man, this think would be killer. "

I personally will prefer for the fixed lens to stay. You can always move closer with your feet or crop part of the image, alter all you've got 20Mp.
It is not physically possible to make a compact ZOOM lens for such a large sensor, it will have lower quality and be 2-3 times bigger. Keep in mind that P&S cameras have a sensor that is several times smaller and their lens is much bigger than this. So the current fixed 28mm equivalent lens is impressive achievement in itself.
 

gggplaya

Distinguished
@eklipz330
"nothing on optical zoom and the flash looks pretty wimpy... that quickly went from very interesting/disruptive to this is neat but expensive. add a decent 4x optical zoom and an included flash and man, this think would be killer. "

It's clear you know nothing about cameras or photography. Fixed lens gives you a lower wider aperture, therefore a narrower DOF and better low light sensitivity. Also, a much sharper and less distorted picture.

Zooms are a heavy compromise and heavily supplemented with flash which washes everything out and oversaturates the colors. Real photographers will use flash, but dial it down to lower levels, use a diffuser, or bounce the flash off walls to even it out.

It's clear panasonic wanted to go after enthusiast or pro level photographers with this phone. Both of which features they don't want, or know how to work around.

I normally shoot with a $1800 canon 6D with a fixed 85mm lens. But it would be nice to have this phone as a carry around never miss a shot camera.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY