News Parallels Desktop 16.5 Enables Windows 10 on Mac M1 at Native Speeds

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I have not used a Mac for 30 years, but this announcement, combined with the M1's power/performance, seems to remove a major obstacle that had driven me away from Macs.
Maybe time to look into it again... I would love to see a full review down the road that caters to hardcore PC users.

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
I have not used a Mac for 30 years, but this announcement, combined with the M1's power/performance, seems to remove a major obstacle that had driven me away from Macs.
Maybe time to look into it again... I would love to see a full review down the road that caters to hardcore PC users.
It's still Windows for ARM, so the functionality is very limited. I expect performance to tank once you use x86 apps, because they probably won't go through Rosetta but rather the Windows x86 emulation layer.

Apr 14, 2021
Well, as MasterMadBones says it is Windows on Arm. Limited functionality, still in preview, most apps run in emulation mode. I have used Parallels for Mac very successfully for the last 6 years. Not being able to run Windows x64 on Parallels is a show stopper for me. I cannot even carry over the 3 or 4 Windows VM's I use every day. Looking for a Windows laptop at this point.

Reactions: Chrys and waltc3

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Yes, sort of amusing article title that claims the M1 uses the emulator Parallels to run Windows 10 at native speeds ...;) That's the kind of article Macolytes dearly love, I imagine. It portends great miracles of performance but never delivers. I was going to say, "How can it run Win10x64 for x86 at 'native M1 speeds' since it's running on an x86 emulator?" Then I saw that I'd been sucker-baited into reading on Windows for ARM, which is quite different, and much less functional...;) For the Mac guys, though, details like that usually don't matter.

Reactions: Chrys

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I feel if you go for a Mac, and I feel you should give it a try, running Windows should be secondary. There is no point getting a Mac to run Windows primarily.

I've not used a Mac for 15 years now since the last MacBook Pro I purchased. And after giving the MacBook Air M1 a try, I rarely miss my tablet or Windows computer. Only time I struggle is when I use it for work running a virtualised Windows system on it and I can't get some of the usual Windows/ Microsoft Office shortcut keys to work on the Mac keyboard. :oops:

The fast SOC aside, the other factor that makes the M1 based systems fast is because of the tight software integration with the hardware. But when you start using Windows which is very fragmented, I feel you will lose a lot of performance due to inefficiency/ poor optimisation. That is why I feel that ARM chips on Windows will take a long time to become attractive even with Qualcomm doubling down on making a good SOC to compete with Intel on Windows. Even if the hardware is fast, the poorly optimised software/emulation will weigh down on performance.

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
There is no point getting a Mac to run Windows primarily.
The opposite of getting a Windows PC to occasionally run Mac apps would be ideal, but is not an option.
Currently, I occasionally use iOS (on an iPad) to remote in to some of my Windows PCs, which is only vaguely useful.