Parents Increasingly Naming Children Apple, Mac and Siri

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

obsama1

Distinguished
Can you really say that children named Mac are directly named after the product? It's somewhat of a common name. However, Siri (unless you're in Norway) and Apple are terrible names. Those kids will have a hard time in school and it will be difficult for them to get a job with such odd names.

catbus1

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
[citation][nom]bavman[/nom]WTF? is this real? Who the hell does this to their children?[/citation]

"adults" that frankly shouldn't be having children in the first place. Their inability to foresee such obvious negative affects of literally their first responsibility regarding the child obviously won't be able to foresee other terrible actions in the future regarding how they raise their children either.

1st world problems resulting in telegraphing incredible terrible parenting.

zeratul600

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
[citation][nom]steve360[/nom]Let's not forget the Egyptian dad that named his daughter "Facebook" in honor of their uprising which didn't turn out so well.It's things like this that I wish there was some way we could remove these people from the gene pool (without having to kill them).[/citation]
you can vasectomize them!

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
I'm going to predict Google will grow up to be a know-it-all, Siri will be a ditsy blond receptionist and Apple will be a spoiled brat that doesn't get along well with others.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]MisterZ[/nom]Apple are a joke. I'm naming my 3 sons i3, i5, and i7.[/citation]
Showing a bit of favoritism there aren't you?

G

What makes me sad is the amount of people joining the band wagon just because this "news" is somewhat related to "Apple". Reality check for you: all of your name means something and was choosing probably for stupid reason. Think of all the people in the world called Rose, or Christian. Who knows if "Melinda" didn't become popular just because it was the brand of a good bread? But mostly: WHO EVEN CARES? There's not only English speaker in the world that realises that "Apple" isn't just a beautiful name for a brand but also a fruit. Anyway, it saddens me that people would crucify parents for that mere reason, it's weird.

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I know a girl named apple, shes hot with lots of friends naturally. I don't know what her parents were thinking shes my age so 29 years ago I doubt they named her after the company. Google on the other hand ouch, she better be smokin

MisterZ

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2012

Siri as a name has been around for a long time. I know of a girl named Siri who is about 26 now.

goodegg

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
My friends have a daughter named Mackenzie. They call her Macks or Max. Not Mac. Not ever Mac. This article is stupid. These parents are stupid.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Bing is a Chinese surname that predates the Bing search engine by two millennia.[/citation]
Yes but Microsoft has ruined it

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jupiter optimus maximus[/nom]If you are going to name your child after a product, then you aren't ready to bear children.[/citation]
I was going to say the same about Mercedes or Porsche as girls names, but they were around before the cars
Actually, so was Mac and Siri as names, but there you go...

drakennz

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
Umm isn't there a significant possibility that people are naming their children Apple after the fruit, as opposed to the brand? I'm not saying it's a good name by any means, but (as with the other names as well) jumping to the conclusion that correlation = causation is rather deluded at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.