Part 1: Building A Balanced Gaming PC

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Do we have an ETA for Part 2 where you test the cards against AMD CPUs? Waiting for this info for my new build as it's so valuable.

This stuff is top shelf guys, keep it up!

G

Greato, can't wait for the 5x00's, the hex core cpu's and the 32nm i5's and whatever nvidia is bringing to the table in 2-3+ months, dunno what CPU AMD's doing next, guess too busy with legal/finacial/5x00's atm...

G

also, for the lower end cpu's on the 'two in one' CF/SLI cards, are they specifically more bottlenecked because they are 'two in one' cards or do say two 4870's perform exactly the same as a 4870X2 (same with the 295 and two 260's [or whatever it was]) in a bottlenecked situation?

aj6065

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
This was a great article, can't wait for part 2. It's great that you guys will keep this series going and updating it with new hardware.

jonmall1441

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
hey I love this in depth stuff so thanks for this :) Can't wait for part 2! Just one question what version of Windows are you running as I don't seem to recall it being mentioned?

jonmall1441

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
hey I love this in depth stuff so thanks for this :) Can't wait for part 2! Just one question what version of Windows are you running as I don't seem to recall it being mentioned?

cutterjohn

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
Pretty good article, but I'd really just have to favor the i7 920 myself, or the Phenom II 955 if you insist on AMD. Why? Well, if you're going to go multi-core why stop at 2 or 3 when quad core CPUs really aren't that much more.

The Phenom II & i7 I'd further pick for, hopefully, some additional "future proofness" of socket 1366 or AM3, as LGA-775 is effectively dead already, and 1156 looks to be more questionable in the long run. AM3 seems like it'll be good for a while given their new CPU design plans and projected target dates, as I'd think it'd be unlikely of them to introduce a new CPU arch in between that would require a socket change.

The GPU charts are good, but at this point we seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place: AMD may well have 58XX/57XX/etc. out, but they're difficult to get hold of plus their linux drivers are still not quite ready yet. OTOH nVidia won't have their DX11 GPUs out until next year, and seeing as they also use TSMC may be in the same delivery sort of bind that AMD is in now. Given all of this, I'd have to say go for a cheap interim GPU if you insist on building a new system right now, then replace it later OTOH I've been needing to build a replacement desktop system since April, yet wanted to see what happened with 1156 and now feel the above wrt GPUs and so will just wait a few more months for things to shake out as my current notebook is, functionally, slightly superior to the desktop in the replacement queue which is a good thing as the desktop is dead and socket 939 which makes decently priced replacement CPUs difficult/non-cost effective to source. (So this will be a nearly complete build including mb, PSU, GPU, DRAM, CPU and maybe a shiny new case(old one is an Antec w/4 fans, but isn't the greatest setup for working with, plus I have an old 3200+ which could go into the old machine turning it into another server of some type. Really want to see if I can find one of those cases with a removeable tray for mounting the mb/hdd cages/etc. in a good/relatively decently priced case with lots of fans.)

arkadi

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
This is a huge project!!! I don't think that any one ever did something that this big. It was an interesting reading in did. Cant wait for the next article, and i can imagine i am not the only one.
GRATE JOB GUYS!!!

john boy

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Hey Terr281, Thanks for the info that I shouldn't worry about the choice of the 2x card versus a 1 x 2 card in a single card setup on the Asus EAH4870 DK 1G. At the time when I built my second system in August, I used the ASUS P5Q MB, E8600, and the two ASUS EAH4870 DK 1G cards, not realizing until I received them, the the motherboard supported only one 2.0 x 16 card, so I knew then I would have to upgrade the MB to utilize them both in Crossfire. Besides, even if I wanted to upgrade to just one 4870 x2 card, every place I checked were listing Out-Of Stock. I'll just use the two 4870 DK 1G cards I got in August and cross my fingers the results will be favorable.

Now I'm wondering if the Corsair 850 watt ps I got in August to run the P5Q and one card, is going to be enough to run both cards with the Rampage Formula MB 775 Socket. What's anyone's input on this? Too close or not enough power for two cards with the 850 watt Corsair, plus the rest of the stuff it has to power in the system? Should have got the Corsair 1000 watt knowing down the road I was going to have upgrade and have enough power to run both cards plus everything else in this system. Oh well, Live an Learn as the old saying goes. Probably will now have to go with the Corsair 1000 watt to play it safe.

Looking for the Asus Rampage 775 board over the weekend. Most places I checked are saying Out-Of-Stock. Hope someone replenishes this in their inventory. Already have everything for this system except the MB.

Again, this article is super! I come here a lot and have based my purchases an upgrades on components from your articles and tests, and I appreciate the fact the staff at T H took the time and effort to inform a old timer like me in purchasing and building a system. Look foward to the rest of the articles.

G

I Loved the article, but I need an additional short paragraph covering lower-end cards and/or smaller monitors. Many gamers are teens/students with hand-me-down rigs and smaller monitors. The lowest res on this study is a "nice/low" res, but will all the eye-candy on. I think a comment on what they should expect would be welcome.

john boy

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
After spending most of the day searching for the Asus Rampage Formula 775 socket MB, (every place I checked was out-of stock) I finally found one. For anyone else looking for this M B, excaliberpc.com had 7 left in stock after I got one.

$194.00 less $30.00 rebate from Asus =$164.00 plus shipping & insurance.

cnox

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
Oh...my...god....

Where is part II? Considering it is an AMD focused article, I'm beginning to feel like there's anomalies in your test results that you're trying to figure out how to explain/justify/dismiss. It's been almost a week since Part 2 has been 'ready', what's the hold up?

tapher

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I thought I had posted a comment before, but perhaps I balked.

Anyway, as an aspiring budget gamer and therefore overclocker/tom's reader, the E6300 processor attracts my attention as it should be the heir to the E5200's reported excellent overclocking potential. However, the article doesn't explore CPU overclocking.

At what point does an overclocked E6300/E5200/E5300 "bottleneck" a given GPU, assuming a stable OC can be achieved near or beyond 4 GHZ?

G

well i think they lost part 2, mabeeeee the dog ate it lol..im diein over here wheres part two ahhhhhhh

cnox

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
Hello, daily check in...

Would it be easier if you could give us a article posting schedule? It seems like one new article gets put up on the site per day. So, if you have 4 or 5 articles lined up before part 2, that means I should stop holding my breath and check back in a few days. Or at least not check the site over and over with hope beyond hope that they published an article that was 'practically done' a week ago.

So, any ideas when we can expect it?

airgreek

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
INCREDIBLE article and the best article for gamers on the net! I am blown away at the quality of work. I have a Q9550 paired up with an ATI 4870X2 and I can say this combo rocks!

G

Wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to make a fortune off the back of this. Companies would pay a big bucks to be mentioned in these articles due to the large amount of interest that has been generated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS