Part II - The q6600 Strikes Back, of "I'd like some expertise please..

silverh20

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
Hey guys, for those that posted and remember this thread, http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/page-256960_28_50.html

Well here is the follow up I promised. So I bought all the parts and threw everything together and wow, Im pleased.

So far it's at stock speeds and using the cheapo intel retail hsf cooler. Haven't really needed to OC it yet because it's running great! I've been too buys playing games to post sooner but I'll get some hard numbers from benchmarks for you guys soon.

So far, I've been running GTA IV at 1680x1050, no vsync, view dist 32, detail dist 100, car density 100, soft shadows 8, rendering very high, shadows medium, textures medium, and pretty much everything else at very high as well. Anything at medium is stuck there due to my radeon 4850's 512 mb memory holding me back. The game runs like a dream. Im thoroughly satisfied with the improvement. I can even run virus scan, burn a dvd, and have firefox and outlook open at the same time while i play GTA IV and alt tab in and out of it with little to no delay and the cores barely exceed 60-70% use and 55 C during game play and all that multitasking.

Crysis runs everything at very high in dx10 and with AA at 2x at 1680x1050 as well.

Im running Vista Ultimate 64 by the way.

As I said, I'll get back to you guys soon with some actual benchmarks but I gotta say this upgrade has been a huge improvement.

to reiterate, this is whats inmy system now

q6600 at 2.4 ghz stock
gigabyte ep45-ud3r
gskill 8 gb ddr2 800 @ 4 4 4 12
(2) WD320 gb in raid 0 (OS drive running Vista 64)
(1) WD500 gb (for data storage)
ati radeon 4850 512 mb
creative x-fi music

^Actually its not bottlenecking it. See I have a HD2900Pro 1GB and have the same settings as he does except my textures are at high (haven't downloaded the patch yet) and can run at the same res and get the same results.

I also have a Q6600 but its OCed to 3GHz instead of the stock 2.4GHz.

To the OP, I would highly recommend trying to OC that CPU. The free 600MHz is nice to have and might boost your gaming a bit too.